Special memorial mass in honour of Sacred Heart Church in Mount Ryan
For 92 years Sacred Heart Church in Mount Ryan served the spiritual needs of the people of Johnstons River and surrounding communities until its closure in 2008.
However, on July 19, its significant contribution to the community and its residents will be remembers with a memorial mass on the former site of the church, at 11 a.m.. There will also be a blessing of the memorial stone and the original bell from the church. All are welcome.
In September, 1915 Bishop Henry O'Leary chose the site on Mrs. Edward Ryan's property, for the location of the mission church. The digging of the basement and the hauling of the lumber, was completed by voluntary labour.
In the fall of 1915, James Stewart hauled the first two loads of stone and during the winter, the lumber was hauled from the firm of Simon Paoli in Charlottetown.
The church was designed by Chappel and Hunter and was of Spanish Revival Style. This was evident in the bellcast canopy over the front entry, the corner steeple and the paladian-type window in the front of the church where it formed a cross. The windows and the parapet above it were the most prominent aspects of the church's front gable.
In October 1916, the church was officially opened with O'Leary blessing and laying the cornerstone.
In the winter of 1918 the interior of the church was completed, with Alex Walker handcrafting the pews, and the stations were placed in the summer of 1919.
All of the activities of the church were under the direction of the Altar Society. The total cost of building the church was $7,000, which was raised from donations and from proceeds from Sunday picnics held at Red Point Wharf.
Members of the Mount Ryan Cemetery Committee, from left, Leona Beagan, Mary Trainor and Doris Trainor Hendricken, are looking forward to the memorial mass set for July 19 on the former site of Sacred Heart Church in Mount Ryan.