Learn about Is­land place-names

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - COMMUNITY/ENTERTAINMENT -

In 1765 Capt. Sa­muel Hol­land ap­plied over 300 names to his large-scale map of the Is­land of St. John (or Prince Ed­ward Is­land - as it was to be­come known 33 years later).

As part of “The Spirit of Chau­tauqua” events, on Wed­nes­day, July 29, 3 p.m., Doug Sobey will give a talk in the big tent at 131 Heather Moyse Dr., Summerside, ti­tled Sa­muel Hol­land’s place-names on Prince Ed­ward Is­land: what they re­veal about Sa­muel Hol­land and 1760s Bri­tain.

He will dis­cuss the ori­gin and pur­pose of Hol­land’s names, the per­sons that the names were in­tended to hon­our and what Hol­land’s choice of names re­veals about the man him­self. He will also look at what Hol­land’s nomen­cla­ture tells about the movers and shakers in 1760s Bri­tain and will con­sider the ex­tent to which the names have sur­vived.

Sobey is co-au­thor, with Earle Lockerby, of the re­cently pub­lished book, Sa­muel Hol­land, His Work and Legacy on Prince Ed­ward Is­land, which has been pub­lished to co­in­cide with the 250th an­niver­sary of Hol­land’s sur­vey.

Hol­land’s large map has re­cently ar­rived from Lon­don for dis­play in an ex­hi­bi­tion in the Con­fed­er­a­tion Cen­tre Gallery.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.