Taxpayers fund government waste
In Tuesday’s Guardian, the Fraser Institute had a column on tax paying in Canada (“Are you getting a good return on your hard-earned money?”).
They explain to us Tax Freedom Day; the day we finish paying taxes for the year. They also tell us this year it was June 10th. They didn’t tell us it was April 24th in the United States.
Their question- are we getting a good return? I submit the following examples:
- Mike Duffy and the rest of the hog-at-the-trough senators
- Cabinet Minister Bev Oda and her $16 orange juice
- Canadian Mint executives and their spouses staying at five-star Caribbean resorts for ‘conferences’
- Cabinet Minister Peter MacKay using the search and rescue helicopter and crew for his fishing trip in NL
- Tory-appointed bridge commission chair Ann Gray and her husband spending taxpayers dollars all over the world
- Prime Minister Harper spending over $50 million on “Action Plan (pat the Tories on the back)” ads since 2009.
Do we pay too much tax? Damn right.
Think of the benefits we could add to education, health care and small business support, among other things, if we could just get these people out of the candy store.