Can­cer So­ci­ety ex­plains ex­penses

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - EDITORIAL -

Re: let­ter in the Dec. 29 is­sue of the Guardian re­lated to a re­cent direct mail cam­paign run by the Cana­dian Can­cer So­ci­ety. While I ap­pre­ci­ate the writer’s con­cerns, there are a few things I would like to share.

The Cana­dian Can­cer So­ci­ety is the largest char­i­ta­ble fun­der of can­cer re­search in the coun­try. That said, our work ex­tends far be­yond re­search – in ad­di­tion to the $44 mil­lion the so­ci­ety in­vested in lead­ing-edge re­search last year, we also in­vested mil­lions in com­mu­nity pro­gram­ming, in ad­di­tion to ad­vanc­ing im­por­tant ad­vo­cacy ef­forts.

Last year’s au­dited fi­nan­cial state­ments (avail­able through the Char­i­ties Direc­torate on the Canada Rev­enue Agency web­site) demon­strate that 89 per cent of ex­penses were di­rectly re­lated to ad­vanc­ing the mis­sion of the So­ci­ety – erad­i­cat­ing can­cer and en­hanc­ing the qual­ity of life of Cana­di­ans liv­ing with the can­cer. This leaves 11 per cent that was in­vested in fundrais­ing and ad­min­is­tra­tion – es­sen­tial costs as­so­ci­ated with run­ning the or­ga­ni­za­tions.

Char­i­ties rec­og­nize the im­por­tance and need for of in­cor­po­rat­ing var­i­ous fundrais­ing ve­hi­cles into their rev­enue de­vel­op­ment plans rec­og­niz­ing that dif­fer­ent meth­ods of giv­ing ap­peal to dif­fer­ent donors. Some peo­ple ap­pre­ci­ate re­ceiv­ing a cal­en­dar in the mail, oth­ers enjoy pur­chas­ing daf­fodils, while still oth­ers pre­fer at­tend­ing spe­cial events like gala din­ners. All have var­i­ous costs as­so­ci­ated with them – but all pro­duce much-needed funds that help to ad­vance the So­ci­ety’s mis­sion.

I want read­ers to know that our Board of Direc­tors, as well as our staff, reg­u­larly mon­i­tors the in­vest­ment of each dol­lar with the goal of en­sur­ing that we have the great­est im­pact pos­si­ble in the fight against can­cer.

We all have friends, fam­ily and col­leagues who have been per­son­ally im­pacted by can­cer – we sin­cerely want to make the most progress pos­si­ble, just like you Lori Barker, Ex­ec­u­tive di­rec­tor Cana­dian Can­cer So­ci­ety, P.E.I. Di­vi­sion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.