Afghan forces end standoff near Indian consulate
KABUL — Afghan special forces have ended a standoff with gunmen holed up near the Indian Consulate in the country’s north and have killed all the attackers after a 24-hour gunbattle, officials said Tuesday. The standoff began on Sunday night in the city of Mazar-iSharif, when three gunmen tried to storm the consulate, and then retreated into an adjacent, fourstory building. Later, Afghan troops rappelled from helicopters onto the roof of the building to drive out the gunmen. Sarwar Hussaini, a police spokesman in northern Balkh province, said the standoff ended late Monday night. There were three gunmen and all were killed while 10 people were wounded during the clashes, including five civilians who got caught in the crossfire, he said. No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.