Baby out of dan­ger af­ter suf­fer­ing se­vere burns when seat left on stove

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - CANADA - THE CANA­DIAN PRESS

The life of a five-month-old Que­bec girl was no longer in dan­ger Fri­day af­ter she suf­fered se­vere burns while in a child seat that had been placed on a stove top, po­lice said.

The in­fant was first sent to hos­pi­tal in Vic­to­ri­av­ille, where the in­ci­dent oc­curred, be­fore be­ing trans­ferred to a chil­dren’s fa­cil­ity in Mon­treal.

Pro­vin­cial po­lice were called about a fire in the home on Thurs­day night, said Sgt. Genevieve Bruneau.

“Ac­cord­ing to the first in­for­ma­tion we have, the baby was in a car seat and (it) was prob­a­bly on the stove in the kitchen and the fire started there,” she said.

Bruneau said the girl’s life was no longer in dan­ger even though she was brought to hos­pi­tal with “ma­jor” in­juries.

A neigh­bour, Jean­nine Gen­dron, told re­porters she brought the baby a blan­ket when she saw her out­side with her mother.

“I took the baby and wrapped it up and I saw the baby’s face was burned,” she said.

Au­thor­i­ties said the girl’s father had burns to the hand and that the mother was in shock.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.