McDon­ald’s in Strat­ford serves up raw Chicken Mc­Nuggets

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - FRONT PAGE - THE GUARDIAN

This Happy Meal did not live up to its name.

Kaylee Foote, 22, of Strat­ford didn’t feel like cook­ing af­ter a busy day last Wed­nes­day so she pulled into the drive-thru at McDon­ald’s in Strat­ford.

She or­dered a Happy Meal for each of her two daugh­ters: one meal was with a ham­burger, the other with Chicken Mc­Nuggets.

Foote told her chil­dren to wait un­til the fam­ily got home be­fore dig­ging into the meals.

When the fam­ily sat down to eat, Foote’s five-year-old daugh­ter quickly found her meal to be quite an un­happy ex­pe­ri­ence.

“She just bit (into a McNugget) and spit it back out and said ‘this is gross,’’’ said Foote, who re­cently grad­u­ated from the bio­science tech­nol­ogy pro­gram at Hol­land Col­lege.

“I was mor­ti­fied be­cause work­ing in the sci­ence field I know how bad sal­mo­nella can be (sal­mo­nella in­fec­tion is usu­ally caused by eat­ing raw or un­der­cooked meat).’’

Foote says roughly half of the chicken nuggets was raw while the other half was cooked.

She im­me­di­ately called the

restau­rant about the in­ci­dent.

The per­son who took her call merely thanked her for the heads up.

There was no apol­ogy, no of­fer of com­pen­sa­tion.

“It was pretty ir­ri­tat­ing, es­pe­cially when it is raw chicken,’’ she says.

Foote’s brother took the raw chicken into the restau­rant and spoke with the man­ager.

The man­ager re­im­bursed the fam­ily for the cost of the meals.

For­tu­nately, Foote’s daugh­ter did not be­come ill af­ter chomp­ing into the raw chicken.

Still, Foote would like to know how the raw chicken ended up be­ing served.

She would also like to know what the restau­rant did af­ter learn­ing of the in­ci­dent.

In a state­ment emailed to The Guardian Mon­day, David McKenna, fran­chisee for McDon­ald’s restau­rants in P.E.I., said food safety is a top pri­or­ity.

“As a lo­cal fran­chisee, I take mat­ters of this na­ture very se­ri­ously and have very strict poli­cies and pro­ce­dures in place to en­sure my guests re­ceive the high­est qual­ity prod­ucts when­ever they visit my restau­rants,’’ says McKenna.

“I was dis­ap­pointed to hear of this ex­pe­ri­ence, and as soon as my restau­rant team was made aware of the in­ci­dent, we launched a full in­ves­ti­ga­tion. Th­ese in­ci­dents, while un­for­tu­nate, are iso­lated. In ad­di­tion to the in­ves­ti­ga­tion, I have taken im­me­di­ate ac­tion by re­view­ing the proper pro­ce­dures with my team to en­sure it will not hap­pen again.’’


Th­ese raw Chicken Mc­Nuggets were pur­chased last week at the McDon­ald’s in Strat­ford.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.