Cry­ing tod­dler saves fam­ily from car­bon monox­ide poi­son­ing

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - CANADA -

KAM­LOOPS, B.C. — Fif­teen month-old Celia Rup­pel is be­ing cred­ited with sav­ing her life, the lives of her par­ents, and the fam­ily’s sev­eral cats and dogs af­ter car­bon monox­ide filled their Kam­loops, B.C., home. It hap­pened last Fri­day when the tod­dler woke in the middle of the night, cry­ing and alert­ing her par­ents. Celia’s mother, Monique, said her daugh­ter was cry­ing and then be­gan to vomit and she knew some­thing was re­ally wrong when she looked down at the cat passed out on the floor. Kyle Rup­pel said both he and his wife had hor­ri­ble headaches, were dizzy and had burn­ing eyes. He said he got his fam­ily and the pets out of the home and called for help. At first, the fam­ily was taken to the nearby Royal In­land Hos­pi­tal in Kam­loops “From there, our doc­tors con­sulted with Van­cou­ver Gen­eral and the hy­per­baric cham­ber spe­cial­ists and they de­cided to air­lift us down and we did three ses­sions in the hy­per­baric cham­ber,” he said. Rup­pel said the doc­tors told him that if Celia hadn’t started cry­ing, they prob­a­bly would have made the news for all the wrong rea­sons. “So if it wasn’t for her wak­ing up and get­ting our at­ten­tion it could have been a lot dif­fer­ent story. She’s pretty small and doesn’t un­der­stand what hap­pened yet, but I’m sure one day we’ll have to ex­plain it to her.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.