Fire destroys home
A man grabs the family dog and flees his burning home.
Victor Martin says a loud and squawking smoke alarm probably saved the life of his son Steve when it woke him from a nap as smoke filled his house after a fire broke out Friday night.
Fire destroyed the home on Branch Road in Tryon and the family lost almost everything except what was most precious — their lives.
Randy Shaw, public relations officer for the Crapaud Volunteer Fire Department said the fire was called in just before 6 p.m.
“Within five minutes we had members on scene, it was fully engulfed,” he said.
Firefighters were on scene about four hours and had mutual aid from the Borden-Carleton and Kinkora Fire Departments.
“They added manpower and water,” said Shaw, who declined to give further details on the fire.
Steve Martin’s wife, Robyn, was away so he was home alone taking a nap on the couch when the fire began, said the elder Martin in an interview Saturday. The alarm aroused Steve and he grabbed the family’s little dog and fled the house. There were no injuries.
As Martin spoke to a photographer in the backyard of the blackened home, a family member came out carrying a box containing photos of a family wedding. The box was black with soot, but she and Martin were amazed to see the irreplaceable photographs were unharmed.
Victor Martin said he owned the house for four or five years and is not certain how old it is, but said it was part of a farm years ago. He said his son and wife were the only tenants.
Martin said Robert Arsenault, deputy P.E.I. fire marshal, has been on the scene, but has not yet determined the cause. Martin said he thinks it began in an area of the house that contained a refrigerator.
Fire destroyed this home on Branch Road in Tryon Friday night and a working smoke alarm is credited with saving a man and his dog from the flames.