Building’s past and present
Here is a timeline of the building now housing Sydney Boutique Inn & Suites in Charlottetown:
— Main Notre Dame building constructed in 1857.
— Converted to a school by the Sisters of Notre Dame. It was first called St. Anne’s school and later known as the Notre Dame Convent.
— In 1911, a new addition to the main building was referred to as the chapel.
— Classes ceased in 1971. After closure of the school, the property became a nursing home for the aging sisters.
— In 2011, a decision was made to close the convent. By the end of 2013, the doors of the building were closed, and the property was placed on the real estate market in the winter of 2014.
— After a major $11.5 construction project, the property opens in June 2017 as Sydney Boutique Inn & Suites.