Aus­tralian woman called 911 twice be­fore she was shot dead

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - WORLD -

An Aus­tralian woman who heard what she thought was a sex­ual as­sault be­hind her home called 911 not once but twice be­fore she was fa­tally shot, con­cerned that of­fi­cers had the wrong ad­dress when no one im­me­di­ately re­sponded.

Min­utes later, Jus­tine Da­mond lay dy­ing in her Min­neapo­lis neigh­bour­hood, shot in the ab­domen by one of the re­spond­ing of­fi­cers when she ap­proached their squad car.

The rev­e­la­tion of a sec­ond 911 call came in the city’s re­lease of tran­scripts of Da­mond’s emer­gency calls, as well as a hand­ful of other ini­tial re­ports. The city has turned the in­ves­ti­ga­tion of Da­mond’s death over to the state’s Bureau of Crim­i­nal Ap­pre­hen­sion.

Da­mond, 40, a spir­i­tual healer and life coach who was due to be mar­ried in Au­gust, was shot by Of­fi­cer Mo­hamed Noor. He has de­clined to be in­ter­viewed by the bureau and hasn’t re­sponded to me­dia in­ter­view re­quests. His part­ner, Matthew Har­rity, told in­ves­ti­ga­tors that he heard a loud sound right be­fore Da­mond ap­proached Har­rity on the driver’s side of the car.

Noor fired from the pas­sen­ger seat.

In Da­mond’s first 911 call at 11:27 p.m., she told the dis­patcher she could hear some­one in back of her house. “I’m not sure if she’s hav­ing sex or be­ing raped,” she said. She said she thought the per­son had yelled “help” and added: “I don’t think she’s en­joy­ing it” and said the per­son seemed “dis­tressed.”

Eight min­utes later, Da­mond called again to say no of­fi­cers had ar­rived. She said she was con­cerned they had the wrong ad­dress, and gave it again. As­sured that of­fi­cers were on the way, she thanked the dis­patcher and ended the call.

Har­rity was in­ter­viewed Tues­day. The bureau said Noor’s at­tor­ney didn’t say when or if Noor would talk to in­ves­ti­ga­tors, and un­der the law an in­ter­view can’t be com­pelled.

Har­rity and Noor are on paid ad­min­is­tra­tive leave. Har­rity has been with the Min­neapo­lis po­lice de­part­ment for one year, and Noor has been with the de­part­ment for nearly two.

Ac­cord­ing to the bureau, Har­rity told in­ves­ti­ga­tors that he and Noor re­sponded to a 911 call from Da­mond about a pos­si­ble as­sault near her home at about 11:30 p.m. Satur­day.

Har­rity was driv­ing the squad car as the of­fi­cers went through an al­ley to look for a sus­pect. The squad lights were off when the noise star­tled him, Har­rity said. No weapon was found at the scene. The of­fi­cers did not turn on their body cam­eras un­til af­ter the shoot­ing, and the squad car cam­era was also not ac­ti­vated.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.