Ex­ten­sion-cord mess cited in fire that killed N.B. mother, three sons

The Guardian (Charlottetown) - - ATLANTIC -

ST. GEORGE, N.B. - Fire in­ves­ti­ga­tors say a mess of ex­ten­sion cords, power bars and the fail­ure of an elec­tri­cal com­po­nent were the likely causes of a fire that killed a New Brunswick woman and her three adult sons in April. The bod­ies of Es­ther Boyd, who was in her 80s, and her sons Davey, Billy and Rob­bie were found in­side a St. George, N.B., home on April 11.

In­ves­ti­ga­tor Jeff Cross wrote that it was his opin­ion that poor elec­tri­cal house­keep­ing con­trib­uted to the fa­tal fire. He said there was a tremen­dous amount of ex­ten­sion cords, power bars, power blocks along with var­i­ous elec­tronic de­vices within the fire’s area of ori­gin, although no spe­cific source of ig­ni­tion was iden­ti­fied. Neigh­bours called 911 when they saw smoke and flames com­ing from the home. The tragedy shook the small com­mu­nity in the prov­ince’s south­west, where Davey Boyd was an hon­orary mem­ber of the fire de­part­ment and al­ways wore his uni­form.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.