Dedicated for worship
The new school building, known as St. James High, has ten classrooms, six upstairs and four downstairs. Five of the classrooms are 22 by 28; four are 30 by 22.; and one is 33 by 22.The auditorium is 87 by 40, and the main corridors upstairs and down stairs ,are ten feet wide. The exterior of the building is of brick siding and the interior is finished with wallboard and plywood.
The United Church Pastoral Charge of Channel, as a regularly organized congregation worshiping in their own church building, dates back to the year 1862. For many years previous to that, however, there were Wesleyan-Methodists in this place; but during those earlier years, they, and the people of the Church of England, worshiped in the same building. They were visited by the Wesleyan and Church of England ministers in turn, and all worshiped as one congregation. Later each congregation worshiped in its own church. The first resident Wesleyan minister was the Reverend Thomas D. Hart of England.
From the very first, down to comparatively recent years the Channel Pastoral Charge consisted not only of Channel and Port aux Basques but also included Cape Ray, Codroy, St. George’s, Fox Roost, Burnt Islands and Isle aux Morte. Now however the Charge consists of Channel and Port aux Basques only. The present Church building was erected during the pastorate of the Rev. John E. Peters who is still living, and is residing in St. John’s. This building was dedicated for worship about 46 years ago. Quite recently the church has undergone extensive repairs.