Newspaperman glimpses The ‘Twin Towns’ – Part 7
Story of “Twin Towns} by V. J. Parsons
Chaisson’s Restaurant is a modern building of recent construction which houses an up-to-date restaurant with five cubicles and a shop counter in the front section and a dance hall at the rear.
The building, which is of two stories, measures sixty feet in length by thirty feet in width. It is owned and operated by Nathan Chaisson, an enterprising young businessman who, as the saying goes, seems to have “what it takes”. Although only in his early twenties, Mr Chaisson has shown considerable ability in the planning of his restaurant and dance hall. The hall, which is at the rear of the restaurant, measures thirty feet square and has a splendid hardwood floor. Ranged along the sides of the room are ten tables that provide accommodation for forty people. At the time of my visit plans were being finalized for the installation of a ‘juke box” for his dance hall patrons. Meals are served in the restaurant and tobacco, cigarettes and soft drinks are sold at the shop counter. Catering for club banquets and other special parties is a special feature of this establishment. The upper story of the building contains living quarters.
Situated on the borderline of the Twin Towns is the Bank of Nova Scotia. This branch was opened in 1912. Its present manager is Kenneth L. Crowley, a native of Western Bay, who entered the banking service of Channel in October 1940. His wife is from Nova Scotia and they have one child. The other members of the staff are Miss Lillian L. Herridge of Channel, ledger -keeper, and Walter J. Raymond, of Catalina.
As we leave the Bank of Nova Scotia to enter Channel, we shall continue along the road, passing several small stores on the way, including the Twin Towns Co-operative Store, until we reach the premises of George Battiste and Company, a firm that boasts of an up-to-date general store, together with extensive fishery operations including a filleting plant for codfish and the handling of fresh halibut in winter, with facilities for pickling fish during the summer season. This firm is headed by George Battiste, who started as a fisherman in 1914, continuing until 1919 when he set up business on shore and became supplier for a small group of fishermen.