Funds approved for fire safety gear
The Port aux Basques Fire Department has received funds from the province to purchase some new safety gear.
In a letter to council read at the Oct. 4 meeting, Municipal Affairs Minister Eddie Joyce confirmed a fire protection financial assistance grant totalling $8,625 had been approved.
The funds will be used to buy four sets of bunker clothing for the department.
The province will cover 80 per cent of the cost, or $6,450 after an HST rebate. The town will be responsible for the remaining 20 per cent, or $1,612.50 after the HST rebate.
No money for fire trucks
Another request for provincial funds to support the fire department was rejected by the government.
In March, the town had requested financial assistance through the fire protection vehicle program.
A letter from director of Fire Services Derek Simmons stated the request couldn’t be approved as all the funds under the program in question had been allocated for the 2016-17 fiscal year.
Snow clearing requests
The Gateway Status of Women Council wrote a letter to council, requesting the town look at making Anderson Lane a priority when it comes to snow clearing.
The Gateway Women’s Centre is located on Anderson Lane, just off High Street.
The letter indicated the organization hires a contractor to keep their driveway clear, but Anderson Lane is often not cleared by 8:30 a.m. and the contractor must clear part of the street. This has driven the group’s costs up.
Councillors said they had to be careful about designating certain roads as priorities over others, but encouraged Gateway to contact the town if they feel the street isn’t being cleared in a timely manner.