Fe­bru­ary 1949

The way it was in the Twin Towns

The Gulf News (Port aux Basques) - - EDITORIAL - Clayton Bil­lard Twin Town His­tory

Fe­bru­ary of 1949 was ac­com­pa­nied by a snow­storm that dras­ti­cally changed the scene from what it was in Jan­uary. Quite a lot of snow fell, but not enough to hold up traf­fic, and cars and trucks still man­aged to get around.

The firm, Ge­orge Bat­tiste and Com­pany, had cho­sen a new site on the high­road near Grand Bay for their ice house. Al­though far away from the usual site at Long Pond in Chan­nel, the new build­ing was un­der­way. The firm in­tends to use a small pond near the school to se­cure ice since Long Pond had been closed. In or­der to se­cure the amount of ice re­quired it will be nec­es­sary to make an ini­tial cut and wait for a sec­ond freez­ing due to the fact that the pond is so small.

Dur­ing re­cent ice cut­ting on that pond a truck was used to pick up the ice blocks. While the truck was on the pond, the ice gave away, and the truck, loaded at the time, went through the ice. The pond is not very deep and the truck was not to­tally sub­merged. Truck and driver were safely res­cued.

The one room school in Lakes Brook, Port aux Basques, was mak­ing progress un­der the su­per­vi­sion of the teach­ers, Miss Tap­per and Miss War­ren. Both teach­ers were work­ing hard to en­sure their pupils had a suc­cess­ful school year at Lakes Brook. (In more re­cent years the old school build­ing was used as a meet­ing place by the “Odd Fel­lows Lodge”, IOOF, the In­de­pen­dent Or­der Of Odd Fel­lows.)

In the past, ves­sels us­ing the har­bour known as Lake’s Brook [or Mother Lake’s Bay] had used cer­tain marks by day and cer­tain lights by night as a guide when en­ter­ing the har­bour. With the town grow­ing and many more build­ings be­ing erected, those marks and lights for­merly used were now hid­den from view. Ge­orge Bat­tiste and Com­pany had a large fish plant lo­cated in this har­bour, and many boats en­tered there to un­load fish. The Com­mis­sion of Govern­ment was made aware of the sit­u­a­tion. It was sug­gested that with elec­tric­ity now avail­able there was no rea­son why proper lights could not be erected as a guide. Duck Is­land in the Bay was also un­der con­sid­er­a­tion as a place for a fog alarm. Both a fog alarm and lights were re­quested by all con­cerned.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.