The New Terminal 1949
In August of 1949 the work of dismantling the carrier shed at the Port aux Basques terminal was nearing completion.
Surveying had been done on the site. The construction of a new, more modern shed, was to be started shortly and space for parking provided for motor cars while awaiting the arrival of boat and train. A layer of crushed stone was laid over the new sewer lines that replaced the old ones. Timber and piles had arrived at the railway terminal and the pile driver was busy driving piles.
In August this was the only construction work being done. The work of building the new extension had been held up temporarily after a number of railway officials had visited the railway terminal. However, work was resumed and the railway was a busy place once again.
A number of men were employed, including carpenters, in the construction of the railway station house which will measure 75 by 35 feet. The roof was to be covered with green asphalt shingles and white slate shingles planned for the sides. As space was required to make the necessary enlargement much ground had to be removed. A ditcher and a number of men were busy removing the soil. The rest of the year would be quite busy in order to have it ready in time to take care of the winter traffic.
During previous years most of the railway shed space was taken up with the storage of paper during the winter and very little space was available for general freight and express. The paper conveyor was removed to another location. The new freight shed was to be about 100 feet long and would be a general improvement all around.
Many men had found work on this new terminal construction and employment had hit another record.
The soil excavated at the railway terminal was to be used by the town council on the Twin Town roads. Much of it was to be stored for future use.
Although road construction was making good progress, the chairman of the town council, George Norman, had planned to leave for St. John’s to discuss town matters with government officials. Among the business topics would be the promise of a cottage hospital. Apart from receiving word that $100,000 had been allocated for this purpose, no further news had been forthcoming, and the general public were keenly disappointed that several sites had been inspected but no action had been taken.
In addition to the general construction at the railway, attention had also been given to the Railway Ice House. Some repairs were made and a large excavation was necessary to build an extension. During the past several years perishable goods had increased to the extent that the quantity of ice in storage was exhausted by mid-summer and during the balance of the season ice has to be brought from the mainland. The new extension to the ice house at Port aux Basques would store sufficient ice to cope with the quantity of frozen shipments passing through this port.