Labour Day in the Twin Towns
Labour Day, Monday, Sept. 5, 1949, brought excellent weather to the Twin Towns. Colorful flags were flying and members of the various unions lined up for the parade at Jubilee Lodge in Channel.
A motor vehicle was in the lead, decorated for the purpose, and carried a typewriter as a symbol of all the trades. Following the line up, the parade – consisting of a huge crowd – went direct to St. James’ Church to attend divine service. A most inspiring sermon was delivered by the Rector, the Reverend George Martin, who took for his text the well-known words “Worthy of his hire” (St. Luke 10:7)
Following service at the church, the parade proceeded to the First World War Memorial opposite the Court House in Channel, where wreaths were placed. Following the singing of the national anthem, the parade went as far as Martin’s Hill in Port aux Basques and then returned to the Jubilee lodge room.
While marching past the town office, the parade was greeted by a blast from the town siren. Although it was only a short blast, and not the regular fire signal, it caused some confusion and people were inquiring about the scene of the fire. However, it was soon discovered why the alarm went off.
During the evening, a dance and tea were held in the Society of United Fishermen’s Hall with invited guests present. An enjoyable evening was spent by all in attendance. The labour movement was well represented.
A wharf extension was underway at the fishing premises of T. J. Hardy on Point Pleasant in Port aux Basques harbour, formerly the site of Emmanuel Pike’s earlier business. Good progress was being made and several carloads of logs had been used thus far in the pier construction.
Reopening of the schools after the summer vacation took place on Tuesday, Sept. 6, 1949. A high number of pupils registered at St. James High School, approximately 470, and at the United School another 200 pupils had registered, making a total of about 670 pupils attending school. At the opening it was feared several classrooms would remain closed for a while since there were several vacancies, but these had now been filled. One school (probably Lakesbrook) remained closed owing to shortage of teachers. The schools had settled down for a busy term.
Plans were being considered for organizing the Sea Cadets in the Twin Towns and vicinity. This youth movement had always been worthwhile. It would, over a period of time, give to all who joined its ranks a good training that would be of much advantage to them in later life. It would also help train them to be good citizens. This organization would undoubtedly receive its share of public support in its infancy, but it was hoped that it would not be dropped, which happened with other youth projects started here at one time or another.
Formation of Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps had recently been introduced into the province. Army Cadet Corps were to be established at St. James High School in Channel; St. Bernard’s School at Corner Brook; the Corner Brook Public School and the Grand Falls Amalgamated School. The Church Lad’s Brigade was active in St. John’s.