Man taken to hospital after second fire in less than 24 hours at Main West apartment block
A man in his 60s was taken to hospital after a kitchen fire in a 10thfloor unit of a public housing building on Main Street West on Wednesday.
It was the second fire in less than 24 hours at 191 Main St. W. — a CityHousing building just south of Hess Village — where a person died Tuesday night.
Just before 3 p.m. Wednesday, firefighters arrived to find a “wellinvolved fire” inside a unit on the 10th floor, spokesperson Claudio Mostacci said.
A man in the unit was taken to hospital to be treated for minor smoke inhalation, said Hamilton Paramedic Service operations supervisor Ian Sinclair.
The cause of the fire was unattended cooking on the stove, Mostacci said. Damage is estimated at about $5,000, he added.
Residents moved out of the highrise, which is more than 20 storeys, while firefighters ventilated it. They were let back in shortly after 3:30 p.m.
“Another fire,” tenant Gabor Nagy said with a shrug outside the building.
The 62-year-old, who lives on the 21st floor, recalled seeing “big, big smoke” in the building Tuesday night.
One person was killed when a fire broke out in a ninth-floor apartment around 9 p.m. The person, who was found in a bedroom, was brought downstairs by firefighters and pronounced dead.
The deadly blaze caused about $15,000 in damage.
An investigator from the Office of the Ontario Fire Marshal was called to probe the fatal fire to help determine its cause, Mostacci said.
An autopsy was scheduled for Wednesday.
Mostacci said he could not confirm the gender or age of the victim, noting the coroner would have to determine that information.