Trump adviser asked FBI to dispute Russia reports
White House chief of staff Reince Priebus asked top FBI officials to dispute media reports that Donald Trump’s campaign advisers were frequently in touch with Russian intelligence agents during the election campaign, according to three White House officials who confirmed the unusual contact with law enforcement involved in a pending investigation.
The officials said that Priebus’s Feb. 15 request to FBI director James Comey and deputy director Andrew McCabe came as the White House sought to discredit a New York Times report about calls between Russian intelligence officials and people involved with Trump’s presidential run.
As of Friday, the FBI had not commented publicly on the veracity of the report, and there was no indication it planned to, despite the White House’s request.
The White House officials would only discuss the matter on the condition of anonymity.
Two hours later, Trump panned news stories that rely on anonymous sources, telling a conservative conference that reporters “shouldn’t be allowed to use sources unless they use somebody’s name.”
White House officials said it was the FBI that first raised concerns about the Times reporting but told Priebus the bureau could not weigh in publicly on the matter. The officials said McCabe and Comey instead gave Priebus the go-ahead to discredit the story publicly, something the FBI has not confirmed.
House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi accused Priebus of committing “an outrageous breach of the FBI’s independence.” She called on the Justice Department’s inspector general to open a new investigation into all conversations Priebus and other White House officials have held with the FBI on ongoing investigations.
A 2009 memo from then-attorney general Eric Holder said the Justice Department is to advise the White House on pending criminal or civil investigations “only when it is important for the performance of the president’s duties and appropriate from a law enforce- ment perspective.”
When communication has to occur, the memo said, it should involve only the highest-level officials from the White House and the Justice Department.
CNN first reported that Priebus had asked the FBI for help, and a White House official confirmed the matter to The Associated Press Thursday night. On Friday morning, two other senior White House officials summoned reporters to a hastily arranged briefing to expand on the timeline of events.
The officials said Priebus had a previously scheduled meeting with McCabe the morning after the Times story was published. Priebus and Comey then spoke later in the day, the officials said in a highly unusual accounting of the White House’s discussions with FBI officials.
Earlier Friday, Trump accused the FBI of being “totally unable to stop the national security ‘leakers’ that have permeated our government for a long time.”
“They can’t even find the leakers within the FBI itself,” Trump tweeted. “Classified information is being given to media that could have a devastating effect on U.S. FIND NOW.”
Trump has been shadowed by questions about potential ties to Russia since winning the election. U.S. intelligence agencies have also concluded that Russia meddled in the campaign to help Trump defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton.
Last week, Trump fired national security adviser Michael Flynn because he misled Vice-President Mike Pence and other White House officials about his contacts with the Russian ambassador to the United States.
Flynn, who was interviewed by the FBI about his contacts, is said to have talked with the ambassador multiple times during the transition, including a discussion about U.S. sanctions policy.
Still, Trump and his advisers have denied having had contacts with Russian officials during the election campaign. Last week, Trump said “nobody that I know of ” spoke with Russian intelligence agents during the campaign.
White House chief of staff Reince Priebus is accused of breaching the FBI’s independence.