Homi­cide a mys­tery: ‘He stum­bles in, cov­ered in blood’

The Hamilton Spectator - - LOCAL - Su­san Clair­mont’s com­men­tary ap­pears reg­u­larly in The Spec­ta­tor. sclair­mont@thes­pec.com 905-526-3539 | @su­san­clair­mont

The gas sta­tion is iso­lated.

Though it is on busy Up­per Cen­ten­nial Park­way, the Pi­o­neer sta­tion is sur­rounded by fields. And in the wee hours, it is the only bea­con of light for a half kilo­me­tre or so.

Maybe that is why, at 2:30 a.m. Fri­day, a car pulled up and a 33year-old man who was driv­ing got out and walked into the small of­fice.

“He stum­bles in and he’s cov­ered in blood,” says Staff Sgt. Dave Ole­niuk of the Hamil­ton Po­lice Homi­cide Unit.

He was bleed­ing badly from a wound to his neck, Ole­niuk says. A lit­tle over 48 hours later, he would suc­cumb to his in­jury and his death would be de­clared a homi­cide.

A male em­ployee and a cus­tomer were there when the in­jured man ar­rived and then col­lapsed. They called 911.

The woman who owns the gas sta­tion says her em­ployee was up­set by the en­counter.

“He tried to help,” she says, adding that po­lice seized her se­cu­rity video and the em­ployee is now on va­ca­tion.

Po­lice were not able to iden­tify the vic­tim in the first hours af­ter he was taken to hospi­tal.

And in­ves­ti­ga­tors have still not iden­ti­fied him pub­licly be­cause no­ti­fi­ca­tion is con­tin­u­ing to his rel­a­tives “all over the coun­try and around the world,” ac­cord­ing to Ole­niuk.

Nor have po­lice re­vealed the cause of death.

The au­topsy be­gan at about 11 a.m. Mon­day, Ole­niuk says.

Ole­niuk would say the man is from the Mis­sis­sauga area and he was driv­ing a ve­hi­cle reg­is­tered to a rel­a­tive.

Po­lice do not think he has fam­ily in Hamil­ton and are still in­ves­ti­gat­ing the cir­cum­stances that led to his homi­cide and his ar­rival at the gas sta­tion.

No ar­rests have been made, but Ole­niuk says the pub­lic is not in dan­ger.

At first, the case was be­ing han­dled by di­vi­sional de­tec­tives and the man was ex­pected to sur­vive.

But by Satur­day night he “took a turn for the worse” and it be­came ap­par­ent to doc­tors that he wouldn’t make it, says Ole­niuk, and the case was handed over to his unit.

The man died Sun­day af­ter­noon at 3:30 with fam­ily mem­bers at his bed­side.

Any­one with in­for­ma­tion is asked to call Det. Ross John­son at 905-526-3827 or Crime Stop­pers at 1-800-222-8477.

This marks Hamil­ton’s third homi­cide of 2017.


Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.