Ap­pli­ance mal­func­tion causes $300K house fire

The Hamilton Spectator - - LOCAL - THE HAMIL­TON SPEC­TA­TOR

A house fire that broke out in the city’s North End Thurs­day morn­ing caused about $300,000 in dam­age was sparked by an elec­tri­cal mal­func­tion in an ap­pli­ance.

Fire­fight­ers were called to 398 Catharine St. N. around 10:30 a.m. and found heavy fire and smoke com­ing from the third floor.

The roof over the home’s front porch was com­pletely de­stroyed.

Crews man­aged to keep the fire from spread­ing to neigh­bour­ing homes, ex­cept for slight ex­te­rior dam­age, spokesper­son Clau­dio Mostacci said.

Res­i­dents were out­side by the time fire­fighers ar­rived, Mostacci added. No one was in­jured.

The Red Cross is help­ing res­i­dents find shel­ter be­cause of the fire and wa­ter dam­age to their home.

JIM AUTY, SPE­CIAL TO THE SPEC­TA­TOR

Hamil­ton fire­fight­ers were called to 398 Catharine St. N. to fight a blaze around 11 a.m. on Thurs­day. The Red Cross is help­ing the res­i­dents out.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.