Syrian military declares ceasefire
DAMASCUS, SYRIA — The Syrian military said Monday it has temporarily halted combat operations in the south ahead of Russian-sponsored ceasefire talks with the rebels.
The announcement came after a large Syrian rebel faction in the south said it would not attend the talks in the Kazakh capital, Astana, because the government was not abiding by previous ceasefire agreements.
The two sides have held four previous rounds of talks in Kazakhstan since January in parallel to UN-brokered peace talks in Geneva. Neither process has made much progress. A ceasefire declared in May, which is built around socalled “de-escalation zones,” has been repeatedly violated.
The military announcement, carried on Syrian state media, said the present pause would run until July 6, to “support the peace process and national reconciliation.”
Delegates are expected to begin meeting with a UN mediator and other diplomats in Astana on July 4.
Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad meanwhile questioned the credibility of the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, saying the inspectors had failed to visit key sites linked to a nerve-gas attack that killed 89 people.
Mekdad dismissed an OPCW report released last week confirming the use of sarin gas on the opposition-held town of Khan Sheikhoun in April. He said the inspectors refused government invitations to visit the site of the attack in northern Syria or the military airport allegedly linked to it.
In a news conference Monday, Mekdad said the idea the Syrian government would use chemical weapons was “impossible,” given that it was already winning the war against its opponents.
A Syrian Democratic Forces soldier listens to his radio near Raqqa.