Dam­age es­ti­mated at $200,000 in blaze at va­cant home

The Hamilton Spectator - - LOCAL -

The Fire Mar­shal’s Of­fice has been called in by the Burling­ton Fire Depart­ment to in­ves­ti­gate the cause of a fire in a va­cant home on Shep­herd’s Drive, just south of Cedar Av­enue, on Tues­day morn­ing.

The blaze caused an es­ti­mated $200,000 in dam­age. A to­tal of 21 fire­fight­ers and 10 emer­gency ve­hi­cles re­sponded at 10 a.m.

There were no in­juries. The fire started in a bed­room of the home, which was not be­ing lived in at the time, ac­cord­ing to the pla­toon chief ’s of­fice.

“One of our cri­te­ria for call­ing the fire mar­shal is fires of un­usual ori­gin or cir­cum­stances, so if no­body is liv­ing in the house, it would be un­usual for a fire to just start. (It’s) just to rule out that there was any­thing amiss,” said Peter Cof­fey.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.