Hinton Town Council briefs
As this was the first Organizational Meeting of Council 20172021, the meeting began with each Councillor being sworn in. Following Swearing-in, each Councillor signed the Code of Conduct (more information below).
Councillor Trevor Haas was not in attendance and will be sworn in at a later date.
Thank you to Tim McClelland of Hinton Law Group for assisting with the Swearing-in Ceremony.
Code of Conduct
It is imperative that councillors remember that they were elected by the public in order to serve a public purpose.
Councillors must therefore act in the public interest, and put the public’s interests ahead of their own personal interests, or the interests of other private individuals or groups. It is also extremely important that elected officials understand that the public must have confidence in the integrity of its public institutions and government, and the ethical conduct of their local government officials.
Accordingly, it is the purpose of this Code of Conduct to set out certain ethical guidelines which are in addition to any statutory or other legal requirements imposed upon elected officials. In the event of any conflict, any law or legal requirement shall have priority over these guidelines.
View the Code of Conduct here.
All present Councillors and Mayor Michaels signed the Code of Conduct.
Councillor Haas will be offered the opportunity to sign following his swearing in.
Council meeting time and dates for Regular Council and Standing Committee meetings
Council Procedure Bylaw #1060-5 establishes that Regular Meetings of Council are to be held on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month beginning at 4:00 p.m. in Council Chambers and that Standing Committee meetings are to be held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month beginning at 4:00 p.m. in the Committee Room.
There is a desire to change the times of the Regular Council and Standing Committee meetings from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. As per section 5 of Bylaw #1060-5, Council may change the meeting time for Regular Council meetings and Standing Committee meetings by resolution.
It was moved that Council adopts the 2017-2018 Meetings of Council as presented in Attachment #1 of the Agenda (view it here). This motion passed; It was then moved that Council change the meeting time for Regular Council meetings and Standing Committee meetings from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., effective November 7, 2017 until December 31, 2017. This motion also passed. Deputy Mayor Terms
A draft of the 2017-2021 Deputy Mayor Terms has been prepared for Council’s review and approval (view in agenda).
It was moved that Council adopts the 2017-2021 Deputy Mayor Terms as presented in Attachment #2 (view in agenda); this motion passed.
Council Representation on Boards and Committees
Members of Council represent the Town of Hinton on various boards and committees. The Mayor has issued recommendations for representation on boards and committees.
• 911 Call Centre Management Committee: Trevor Haas | Alternate: Tyler Waugh
• CAO Performance Review Committee: Marcel Michaels, Ryan Maguhn, Albert Ostashek | Alternate: Trevor Haas
• Community Engagement & Advisory Committee (CEAC): Tyler Waugh | Alternate: Albert Ostashek
• Community Futures West Yellowhead: Tyler Waugh, Dewly Nelson | Alternate: Marcel Michaels
• Disaster Services Committee: Dewly Nelson, JoAnn Race, Trevor Haas | Alternate: Ryan Maguhn
• Evergreen Foundation Board: Marcel Michaels | Alternate: Dewly Nelson
• Forest Resources Advisory Group: Marcel Michaels | Alternate: Albert Ostashek
• Hinton Golfing Society: Ryan Maguhn | Alternate: Tyler Waugh
• Hinton Historical Society: JoAnn Race | Alternate: Ryan Maguhn
• Hinton Municipal Library Board: Tyler Waugh, Trevor Haas | Alternate: Albert Ostashek
• Hinton Regional Economic Development Coalition: Albert Ostashek | Alternate: Marcel Michaels
• Home for Fine Arts Society of Hinton (ASH): JoAnn Race | Alternate: Trevor Haas
• Inter-Municipal Committee (Yellowhead County): Under Review
• Mary Reimer Park Society: Ryan Maguhn | Alternate: JoAnn Race
• Nominations Review Committee: Under Review
• West Fraser Pulpmill Advisory Committee: Marcel Michaels | Alternate: Dewly Nelson
• West Yellowhead Regional Waste Management: Dewly Nelson, Albert Ostashek | Alternate: JoAnn Race
It was moved that Council approves the 2017-2018 Council Representation on Boards and Committees as presented in Attachment #3 (view in agenda package here for more information on board duties). This motion passed.
2018 Organizational Meeting The Municipal Government Act states that a municipality must hold an organizational meeting every year not later than 2 weeks after the 3rd Monday in October. It was moved that the 2018 Organizational Meeting of Council be held on Tuesday, October 23, 2018. This motion passed
The actual motion passed during the meeting mistakenly read October 24, 2018. The intent was to hold the organizational meeting on the 3rd Tuesday of 2018, in accordance with the meeting schedule passed earlier in the meeting. For clarity, the correct date is included above.