To submit an item for the community calendar, email news@ ngnews.ca or drop it off at The News, 352 East River Road, New Glasgow.
WEEKLY EVENTS Fridays
● Chase the Ace – River John Legion. Doors open at 6 p.m. Tickets sold 6:30-8:30 p.m. with draw at 9 p.m. Tickets three for $5, seven for $10 and 15 for $20. Must be present to win. Music by The Geezer.
● Chase the Ace – With entertainment at Pictou Legion, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
● Cribbage – Westville legion, 7:30 p.m. Admission $5. Meat Darts, 8 p.m., cost $4. All welcome.
● Card Party – St Bee’s Church Hall, Westville. Doors open at 7 p.m. Cards start at 7:30 p.m. Cash prizes, plus lunch is served.
● Knitting Circle – The Stellar Knitters, 1 p.m. at Stellarton library, novice and experienced. Yarn and needles can be supplied or bring your own project.
● Women on Wheels – Pictou library 10 a.m. Senior women enjoying short bike rides, healthy snacks and connecting with others.
● Toddle Time – 10:15-11:15 a.m., Westville Library, ages 18 months-3 years. Stories, songs, games, crafts. To register, 902-396-5022.
● Toddle Time – 10:45-11:45 a.m., Stellarton Library, 18 months- 3 years. Stories, songs, fun and games. To register, 902-755-1638. Space is limited.
● Gamers Afterschool – 3-5 p.m., Westville library. Drop in for a gaming session for children ages 8-14.
● Stellar Curling Club – Chase the Ace and open curling 6-8 p.m. Winning ticket drawn at 8:15.
● Family Fun Night – 7:30-10 p.m. at Father’s House Church, J’s Place Entrance, 400 Stewart St., New Glasgow. Snacks and games offered. For more info call Jim Swain at (902) 695-5509.
● Karaoke – Stellarton Legion every Friday night from 8 p.m. to midnight. Adm: $3.
● Volunteers Needed – for VON volunteer assisted transportation as well as one week a month for Meals on Wheels Westville programs. For more information call Sheila Hoeg at (902) 752-3184, ext. 211.
● Donate Clothing – and cloth items to Diabetes Canada’s reusable goods donation program. Drop bagged items in red clothing donation bins available at several locations throughout Pictou County. Call 1-800-505-5525 or visit declutter. diabetes.ca for more information.
● GO – players wanted. Call Al 902 755-3250 if interested.
● 4-H Registration – Middle River, 6:30 p.m. at Union Centre Hall. For more inof contact Kelli McInnis at 902 396-4262.
● PiCCoLA – presents Family Literacy with Nikkie. Join for a fun-filled afternoon of crafts, stories and snacks. This free activity is open to all – but you must register by calling our New Glasgow office 902-755-5827. FamLit with Nikkie takes place from 3:154:45 p.m. at PiCCoLA’s New Glasgow location – 174 Archimedes St.
● Open House – at New Glasgow Fire Department starting at 6 p.m. View firefighting apparatus, learn how to operate a fire extinguisher and win some prizes. Handouts for children. All welcome.
● Bingo – at New Glasgow 55 Plus Club (upstairs of New Glasgow Fire Department) at 1:30 p.m. Door prize, sweets, prizes, great lunch, and a good time for all.
● Chase the Ace – Stellar Curling Club, 6-8 p.m. Jackpot approx. $16,000 with eight cards remaining.
● Concert – 7 p.m. at Green Hill Alma United Church. Admission: Donations for the Food Bank.
● Mom to Mom Sale – at New Glasgow Academy (93 Albert St. New Glasgow), 1 -3 p.m. Seller tables can be rented for $18 each or 2/$35. Admission is $2 per person. Event is a fundraiser for Pictou County Babies to Boosters. If you are interested in selling your gently used children’s clothing, toys and baby gear, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
● Family Fall Fest – at Green Hill Alma United Church from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Activities for kids. Tickets for activities sold on site.
● Westville and Area Gardening Club – will host the Annual Fall Rally for the Eastern District at the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church hall. The rally begins with registration at 8:30 a.m. and promises a fun , informative day of all things gardening. Cost is $10. ● Potluck Supper – East River Pastoral Charge, at Springville Church Hall 4-6 p.m. Adults $10, children $5. Pantry table also. ● Haunted 3K Dog Jog – Hosted by Bender’s Bites and Trenton Parks Fall Fest at Trenton Park from 11 a.m.-1p.m. $15/team. BBQ, goodie bags and lots of prizes. Sponsored by Sobeys, Subway, Poulains Pharmachoice and more. Proceeds go to Good Bones Dog Rescue. Register by Oct. 10 by calling 902 753-6188 or email@example.com.
● North End Rec Centre Fall Bazaar – 10 a.m.-1 p.m. craft and vendor event
● Prize Bingo – Bridgeville Community Centre 2-4 p.m.
● Auction 45s – at Trenton Legion at 1 p.m.
● Chase the Ace – at Trenton Legion spons. by Trenton Fire Dept and Br. #29. Tickets sold from 2-4 p.m. with draw to follow. Must be present to win. This week’s jackpot starts at $6,576.50. Karaoke with KGB Ent. right after draw from 4-9 p.m.
● Fall Fundraiser – French River Cemetery Society of Pictou County, 9551 French River, N.S. BBQ and yard sale 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. at French River Hall. Items can be dropped off between 6-8 p.m. on Oct. 11.
● Fitzpatrick Mountain Hike – Hike Nova Scotia, the Pictou County Trails Association and the Cape to Cape Trail present a guided hike on Fitzpatrick Mountain, Scotsburn at 1 p.m. Meet at Deb’s Hidden Cafe in Scotsburn. Qualify to win a trail prize. See www.hikenovascotia.ca for details.
● 3rd Annual Fall Fiddle Fest – Caribou Fire Hall, 2-4 p.m. Price $6, with proceeds to Northumberland Fisheries Museum. Fiddlers young and old, room to dance. Free tea and coffee.
● Pictou County Ostomy Group – meets in the boardroom, 1st floor, Aberdeen Hospital 2-4 p.m.
● Anniversary Worship Service – 1 p.m. at Green Hill - Alma United Church. Special Guest Preacher: Rev. Jeanne Stright.
● Chase the Ace – for Westville Rink and Westville Legion from 1-3 p.m. at Westville Legion Br. # 35. Current jackpot is at $5,270.50.
● Monday Music – Steve Auld in concert at Green Hill - Alma United Church at 7:30 p.m. Admission: $10 (or what you can afford)
● 4-H Registration – River John, 7 p.m. at St George’s Church Hall. For more info contact Margaret Cripps at 902 759-4595 or Christine Heighton at 902 351-2061
● Gospel Concert – hosted by the Salvation Army in Westville with Alan O’Brien and his group called, “Hannah and the Boys” at 7 p.m. Admission is $5 for adults, children 16 and under are free. This group is widely known and enjoyed across Pictou County. Refreshments will be served.
● Crohn’s and Colitis – meeting at 7 p.m. in the Sobeys Community Room, West Side, New Glasgow. Regional coordinator, Amanda, will be present for updates. Everyone welcome. For more info, call Mike at 902 925-2582.
● Regular Meeting – Northumberland Adult Brain Tumour Support Group, Main Floor Lounge of East River Manor, 690 East River Rd., 6:30 p.m. Guest speaker heather Cameron on Music Therapy. For further information contact the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada 1 800 2655106 ext 234.
● RTO Pictou Branch – will hold their General Meeting in the Atlantic Superstore Community Room, at 1 p.m. Please note the time change from previous announcements. All RTO members are invited to attend.
● The Pictou County Prostate Cancer Support Association – will be meeting at 7 p.m. in the UCT building behind Summer Street Ind.; Park St., New Glasgow. Wheel chair accessible. Social time to follow. Guest speaker is Dr. Gabriela ILIE leader of Dalhousie’s Soillse Prostate Cancer Quality of Life Research Lab speaking on the lab’s research into quality of life following prostate cancer treatments. All welcome.
● Family Round and Square Dance – at St. Mary’s Parish Hall - Hwy 245 Maryvale, Antigonish Co. from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. Music provided by John Pellerin, Colin Rankin and Mac Morin. Admission: $10. Children 12 and under free when accompanied by an adult. Tea and sweets provided. Community Luncheon – 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in support of the Helping Hands Ministry, an outreach program of St. George’s Anglican and Trinity United Churches. Trinity Multi-Purpose Room (Please use MacLean St. Entrance)
Tickets: $8 from Helping Hands volunteers, St. George’s and Trinity Church Offices and at the door.
● Roast Beef Dinner – at Plymouth Fire Hall from 4-6 p.m. Cost is $12. Eat in or take out available.
● SBI 4-H Club – will be doing a bottle drive starting at 9:30 a.m. The area will cover Sunny Brae through to Springville and River Road.
● Sharon St. John Fall Fair – Acadia Ave., Stellarton, 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. Turkey burgers, quilts, bake table, lots of activities.
● Hot Roast Pork Supper – at St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church , Merigomish, 4-6pm. Adults $12 . Children $6. Pantry table. ● )BSWFTU 3PBTU #FFG 4VQQFS o 1JDUPV United Church, 47 James St. 4:30-6 p.m. With all the trimmings and dessert. Tickets $13 adults, $8 children. Takeout and delivery available, 902485-8081.
● Christmas Craft Sale – Bethel Church Hall, Pictou Landing, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Anyone wishing to rent a table call Mary at 902-752-0296 or Ruth at 902-752-0185-2 before Oct. 18. Table rental is $20.
● Hunters Breakfast – at Springville Presbyterian Church Hall, 6:30 – 10 a.m.
● Special Anniversary – Merigomish United Church celebrating 90 years of Christian witness in the community at our 9:30 a.m. service. Potluck lunch to follow in the church hall. Service will include sermon by Rev. Doug Stewart and music by the combined choirs of Merigomish United and St. Paul’s Presbyterian Church. All are welcome.
● Musical Thank Offering – The Allan Pollok Auxiliary of the Atlantic Mission Society will hold an afternoon of music at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, 37 Mountain Rd., New Glasgow, 2 p.m. Free will offering. Refreshments after the concert.
● 4-H Registration – Scotsburn, 7 p.m. at Scotsburn Elementary School. For more info contact Cathy Lavers
at 902 485-8204.
● 4-H Registration – Salt Springs, 7 p.m. at West River Fire Hall. For more info contact Betty Lou Scott at 902 925-2057.
● Registration – for Hillside Girls Club from 6 to 7 p.m. at the North End Recreation Center, downstairs. Girls from age 5 to teens are welcome. Open to anyone in the area. For info call Ellen at 902 7551801.
Something Special for Women – St. David’s, 4354 Sunrise Trail, Toney River, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Speaker: Cecilia Mcrae- President of Pictou County Mental Illness Family Support Association; health- Susie Belt from Seafoam Lavender; craft-Darlene Henderson; Music – Myrna Phillips and Lynda Manning; Seeds of Home Book Store, Trenton. Fellowship time with refreshments and book table.
● Soup and Dessert Luncheon – St Bees’ Anglican Church (Helping Hands) Westville, 11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m. Price $8. Take out available.
● Hunters Breakfast – at Springville Presbyterian Church Hall, 6:30 – 10 a.m.
● Women’s Wellness Workshop – Pictou Lodge; to register go to www.iamworthit.today.