To submit an item for the community calendar, e-mail news@ ngnews.ca or drop it off at The News, 352 East River Road, New Glasgow. Deadline for submissions is the Tuesday before Thursday’s publication date.
• Donate Clothing – and cloth items to Diabetes Canada’s reusable goods donation program. Drop bagged items in red clothing donation bins available at several locations throughout Pictou County. Call 1-800-505-5525 or visit declutter.diabetes.ca for more information.
• Self esteem – Pictou County Women’s Resource and Sexual Assault Centre is offering a self esteem course for women. Call the Centre, 902-755-4647 to indicate whether day or evening would be preferable and which topics would be of interest to you.
• Get your GED – Free classes for those who want to improve their reading skills or obtain their GED offered by Pictou County Continuous Learning Association. Must be 19 years of age or over and have been out of school for more than one year. Register at 485-7014 or 755-5827 for classes starting the week of Sept. 24. Choose the class that suits you best – morning classes in Pictou, morning or full time classes in New Glasgow or an evening class at the NSCC in Stellarton.
• Book Sale – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily ( except Sunday 12 – 5 p.m.). at the Bluenose Curling Club. Proceeds for the Y Service Club.
• Book Club – 6-7:45 p.m., River John Library. Join us for our monthly book club where we will chat about what we read. For more info or to arrange for a copy of the book, call(902) 3512599.
• Merigomish United Church – presents “Helios”, Atlantic Canada’s premier five piece a cappella vocal ensemble at 7:30 p.m. at the Merigomish church. Tickets: $20 and $5 for students. Available at H&R Music, LBR GAS BAR, Merigomish or call Vickie at 902-926-2566
• Live Music – with Dennis & Bud at Trenton Legion. 8 p.m.-close.
• Retirement Celebration Breakfast – hosted by the The Retired Teachers Organization at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church Hall , Westville, at 10 a.m. Cost is $5, but new retirees may attend for free. Feel free to bring along a guest. Reserve by calling Joyce at 902-396-5735, or e-mail at email@example.com on or by Sept. 1.
• Women on Wheels – in partnership with Pictou Recreation 10 a.m.11 a.m., Pictou Library. Join for this information session on the Women on Wheels program for a healthy snack and a ride.
• Knitting Circle –led by the RJ Square Knitters (all ages, drop in) 10-11 a.m., River John Library. For questions, call (902) 351-2599.
• Knitting Circle – led by the Stellar Knitters (all ages, drop-in), 1-2 p.m., Stellarton Library. For more info call 902-755-1638.
• 90th Anniversary – of Westville Legion Br. #35. Open to all. For more info visit Westville Legion Facebook page.
• Auction 45’s – at Trenton Legion at 1 p.m.
• Dance – at Westville Legion Br.#
35. Live Music by Hal Bruce, from 7 p.m.-12am. Tickets available by calling Joe Stewart at 902-754-0690 or Westville Legion 902-396-3742. Admission $15 per person. The Chad Bus Service will be available from 11 p.m.- 1a.m. to service Picture Co. area only.
• Chase the Ace at Trenton Legion – spons. by Trenton Fire Dept. and Br. #29 from 2-4 p.m.. Advance tickets available from Mon.-Sat. at our regular vendors. Complete List is on our Facebook page. Jackpot starting at $6,156.50 and draw will be shortly after 4 p.m. on Sunday. Karaoke to follow with KGB Ent. until 9 p.m.
• Chase the Ace Westville – sponsored by the Westville Legion Branch 35 and the Westville Rink Commission returns, with its first draw taking place from 1-3 p.m. at the Westville Legion with a guaranteed jackpot of $4,000 plus 30 percent of the weeks sales. Advance tickets only ($20) can be purchased Monday-Saturday at: New Dimension Hair Design, Whitetail Pub & Grill, Westville Legion, Hair to Stay in Stellarton, and Millside General Store in Pictou.
• Monday Music – Daughter of the Moon, a singer songwriter from British Columbia, will be in concert at Green Hill - Alma United Church at 7:30 p.m. Admission: $10 or what you can afford. Part of the Monday Music in Alma Concert Series.
• Pictou County Mental Illness Family Support Group – meeting from 7-9 pm in Room B-120 at NSCC, 39 Acadia Avenue Stellarton.
• Seniors Afternoon Tea – hosted by St. George’s ACW from 2-4 p.m. Use St. George’s Church New Glasgow Forbes Street Entrance. Sandwiches, sweets, tea, coffee and punch will be served. No charge.
• Classic Country Music Jam – at Lourdes Hall from 6:30-9 p.m. Admission $5. No charge for players. Light lunch will be served. 50/50 draw. For more info contact Bernie McCarron at 902-928-0426.
• ABCs for Babies – 10:15-11 a.m., New Glasgow Public Library. A weekly library program for babies (0-18 months) & parents/caregivers. Stories, songs & fun activities. For more info or to register call 902-7528233.
• Toddle Time –10:30-11:30 a.m., Pictou Library. Weekly library program for toddlers (18 months - 3 years) & parents/caregivers. Stories, songs, fun & games. For more info and registration, call 902-485-5021. Seating is limited.
• Yarn Circle –10:30-11:30 a.m., Westville Library. Join us as we get creative. It could be knitting, crocheting or other crafty creations. For more info on this new program, call 902-396-5022.
• Community Quilters – pre-registration required, space is limited, 2:30-4 p.m., Pictou Library. This is an
opportunity for anyone interested in learning/doing quilting. To register, call 902-485-5021.
• Tween Readers Club – 3-4 p.m., Stellarton Public Library. A book club for youth in Grades 7 & 8 the 2nd Tuesday of the month. For more info and registration, call 902-755-1638.
• Gamers drop-in – ages 8-12, 3:30-4:30 p.m., New Glasgow Public Library
• Birders Group – 6-7 p.m., Pictou Library. Informal gathering of people that want to learn about local birds and how to identify them. We also learn to watch for and see unique birds in our neighborhoods. There are many books available to be borrowed in the Birds of Nova Scotia and the Atlantic Provinces.
• Pictou County Injured Workers Association – meeting at 7 p.m. at St. John’s Parish Hall, 390 High Street, New Glasgow.
• Jam Sesions – in the Durham Community Hall at 7 p.m. Shared lunch. Silver collection. All welcome.
• Author Reading – by Dr. Jock Murray, 7 p.m. at deCoste Entertainment Centre in Pictou. He wil present “Noble Goals, Dedicated Doctors: the story of the Dalhousie Medical School” and will have copies of the book available.
• Book Club at Trenton Library – second Wednesday of the month starting at 2:30 p.m. Light refreshments. For more info call 902-752-5181.
• Community Cafe – presents ‘Making a Candle Mat’ with Debbie Greene (tea, coffee and light snacks provided) 2:30-3:30 p.m., Westville Library.
• XBOX Gamers – at the Library (drop-in) 3-5 p.m., Westville Library. Play with the XBOX One, and bring a friend.
• Auction 45’s – at Trenton Legion at 7 p.m.
• A Roald Dahl Birthday – 10 a.m.9 p.m., Pictou Library. Come in costume and receive a book from our Adopt a Library book collection or you might even receive a pair of BFG ears. Make a party hat, color the BFG, and make a “human bean” button.
• Community Picnic – at Springville Recreation Field starting at 2 p.m. Barbecue, games and live music.