Burned raccoon dies
A baby raccoon that gained national media attention after it was set on fire in Central Ontario died at a shelter on Sept. 7.
The tiny two- or-three-month old raccoon was found dead in her crate at dinner-time by staff, said Debra Spilar, director of the Procyon Wildlife Shelter in Beeton, Ont., about 145 kilometres west of Peterborough.
“She had been responding well to treatment, but it could be her young lungs had ingested too much of the lighter fluid,” Spilar said Tuesday afternoon.
The young raccoon, named Phoenix Rose, was found Aug. 6 by a Barrie woman near the Huronia North Park, just north of Big Bay Point Road.
It’s believed the little raccoon had been doused with lighter fluid and set on fire. She suffered burns on her body, face, head, eye and inside her mouth.