Hospice on track for January opening
The new home of Hospice Peterborough is expected to open its doors next January after construction is completed in December, executive director Linda Sunderland told Peterborough County councillors Wednesday.
The change of direction from renovating the historic Dumble-Langton House to having to demolish it caused significant delay, but there are many benefits to the new build, she said as she provided an update on the care centre project.
The new design has improved accessibility at the facility and created a brighter, more functional space, Sunderland said. A more compact footprint means more space for fully accessible gardens, for example.
The new building will have 14,793 square feet on two levels. The agency currently operates out of 3,500 square feet, she pointed out. “This is a significant enhancement for Hospice Peterborough … we’re really looking forward to opening our doors.”
The county, which committed $350,000 to the project, funded 10.6 per cent of construction requirements for 2017 with its first $175,000 installment, Sunderland told councillors.
She reminded them that last year’s $2 million contribution from the province completed the capital fundraising campaign.
Next for the project is completing interior design and furnishings, work that is expected to be done by December.
The doors will open next January and the residence will officially open in February after staff are trained and officials ensure the facility is functioning well, Sunderland said.
Some 26 per cent of Hospice clients, 367 in total, came from the county in 2017 and 2018, Sunderland explained. Peterborough accounted for 69 per cent, while the remaining 5 per cent of Hospice clients came from elsewhere.
Warden Joe Taylor presented a cheque for the remaining $175,000 from the county to Sunderland following her delegation.