O-Christmas tree how fast can you burn?
According to legend, the Christmas tree was first introduced to Canada long before Confederation, in 1781. This first tree, decorated with white candles, was
balsam fir cut from the dense forest in the region that is now the city of SorelTracy, Quebec.
It was beautiful but perilous and even though we’re no longer using lit candles as tree ornaments, the risk of fire remains real.“Keep the tree watered,” says Wayne Ross, an insurance expert at Aviva Canada.“That is our mantra at this time of year. Not only does it create a fragrant ‘winter wonderland’ atmosphere, but a wet tree is a safer tree.”
Here are some other safety tips to help keep your home not only festive, but safe as well:
• When buying your tree, make sure the needles don’t fall out when you bounce the tree on the ground. These types of trees tend to dry out very quickly, meaning they will also burn very quickly.
• Don’t overload electrical outlets with too much lighting and/or extension cords.
• Under no circumstances leave a lit Christmas tree unattended. If you’re out for the evening, be sure to unplug the lights. • Never place lit candles near your tree. Just a few thoughtful steps at this busy time of year will make sure your home and family are safe and protected. More information is available from your insurance broker or online at avivacanada.com.