Fire preven­tion tips around your home

The Prince George Citizen - The Citizen - Real Estate Weekly - - Real Estate Weekly -

Elec­tri­cal ac­ci­dents top the list when it comes to house fires in Canada. To mark the im­por­tance of Fire Safety Week, take a look at a few safety tips and pre­ven­ta­tive mea­sures from Hy­dro One:

Keep elec­tri­cal cords away from heat and wa­ter as they can both dam­age the in­su­la­tion and cre­ate a shock haz­ard.

Avoid oc­to­pus out­lets! Clus­ters of wires and plugs can be a fire haz­ard along with us­ing ex­ten­sion cords as per­ma­nent wiring.

Put safety caps on any un­used elec­tri­cal out­lets, es­pe­cially if there are young chil­dren in the house.

Buy ap­pli­ances ap­proved by the Cana­dian Stan­dards As­so­ci­a­tion (CSA) and al­ways dis­con­nect them be­fore clean­ing. When you’re chang­ing a light bulb, be sure to turn off the switch or cir­cuit. If you’re ren­o­vat­ing this fall, re­mem­ber all elec­tri­cal work must be in­spected and ap­proved by the Elec­tri­cal Safety Au­thor­ity. This in­spec­tion must be done prior to cov­er­ing any wiring with dry­wall or any other wall/ ceil­ing ma­te­ri­als.

If you’re buy­ing a new home soon, an elec­tri­cal in­spec­tion should be high on your list be­fore sign­ing on the dot­ted line. This will tell you if the house is safe and if any up-dates to the wiring are re­quired to bring it up to code.

More de­tails and in­for­ma­tion is avail­able on­line at www.hy­droone.com/ My­Home/StaySafe/Pages/Stay­ingSafe.aspx.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.