Millard blamed dad for busi­ness woes

Trial hears Wayne Millard’s son called him a fail­ure days be­fore he died

The Recorder & Times (Brockville) - - ONTARIO NEWS - LIAM CASEY

TORONTO — Days be­fore an avi­a­tion ex­ec­u­tive was found dead in his bed — a bul­let lodged in his brain — his son called him a fail­ure and blamed him for the fi­nan­cial woes the fam­ily-owned busi­ness was fac­ing, a mur­der trial in Toronto heard Tues­day.

Dellen Millard, 32, a twice con­victed mur­derer who is serv­ing two con­sec­u­tive life sen­tences, is ac­cused of killing his fa­ther, Wayne Millard, on Nov. 29, 2012. He has pleaded not guilty to first­de­gree mur­der in his fa­ther’s death, which was ini­tially ruled a sui­cide.

A re­tired foren­sic de­tec­tive showed court scores of text mes­sages Millard sent af­ter pur­port­edly find­ing his fa­ther dead in bed. Jim Fal­coner said the texts were re­cov­ered from one of Millard’s com­put­ers seized from the home he shared with his fa­ther in Toronto’s west end.

Dellen Millard texted his girl­friend in the early morn­ing hours of Nov. 30, 2012 that his 71-yearold fa­ther had suf­fered from de­pres­sion and had shot and killed him­self.

In the texts read out by Fal­coner, Millard tells Christina Noudga his “world has never been so up­side down.” At the time, Dellen Millard was work­ing for his fa­ther, who was in the mid­dle of trans­form­ing Mil­lar­dair from an avi­a­tion com­pany to a main­te­nance and re­pair com­pany and had built a mas­sive han­gar at the Re­gion of Water­loo In­ter­na­tional Air­port.

“The last time I spoke to him, I told him the com­pany’s fi­nan­cial trou­bles were his do­ing and that he was a fail­ure,” Millard wrote. “Usu­ally he tells me not to worry. But this time he said maybe I was right.”

Millard also told her his fa­ther has “al­ways had de­pres­sion, but he’s never been sui­ci­dal.”

Within days of his fa­ther’s death, Dellen Millard changed the locks at the han­gar and fired ev­ery­one work­ing at Mil­lar­dair, court heard. On Dec. 4, 2012, Millard called all Mil­lar­dair em­ploy­ees to the new han­gar, which in­cluded 11 me­chan­ics and five man­agers, in­clud­ing John Barnes, a long­time air­craft main­te­nance and re­pair man­ager.

“We were ad­vised of Wayne’s death,” Barnes tes­ti­fied. “We were told at the time it was an aneurysm and that the busi­ness was go­ing to be closed down.”

Barnes said he met Wayne Millard the day be­fore his death to dis­cuss what ben­e­fit packages to sign the new em­ploy­ees up for. The com­pany had re­cently re­ceived a cru­cial li­cence from Trans­port Canada to op­er­ate the busi­ness.

“He seemed ex­cited, en­thu­si­as­tic,” Barnes said.

But money was tight, Barnes added, and Wayne Millard was dip­ping into his per­sonal for­tune to help fi­nance the new busi­ness along with a mul­ti­mil­lion-dol­lar busi­ness loan he took out.

Barnes said Mil­lar­dair had a cus­tomer lined up in Hal­i­fax, and there were other op­por­tu­ni­ties as well.

The com­pany, he said, was “go­ing to be vi­able.”

Barnes said he wasn’t sure of the younger Millard’s role in the busi­ness other than that Dellen Millard’s prop­erty com­pany was do­ing the in­te­rior work on the han­gar. He later found out Dellen Millard owned half of Mil­lar­dair.

“He (Wayne) told me it was to leave some­thing to Dellen,” Barnes said. But Wayne and Dellen Millard “didn’t see eye to eye.”

Dellen Millard had a col­lec­tion of ve­hi­cles and trail­ers on the han­gar floor and the wash­rooms were used, but never cleaned, Barnes said. “It was de­plorable,” he said, adding that he couldn’t show the han­gar in that state to ei­ther Trans­port Canada or po­ten­tial clients.

The trial has heard that Dellen Millard bought the hand­gun found next to his fa­ther’s body from a weapons dealer. Dellen Millard’s DNA was found on the han­dle of the gun.

Millard told po­lice he last saw his fa­ther alive around noon the day be­fore and said he stayed the night at his friend Mark Smich’s house. Phone records in­di­cate one of Millard’s phones moved from Smich’s house around 1 a.m. on Nov. 29, 2012, to his fa­ther’s home where it stayed un­til shortly af­ter 6 a.m.


A sup­plied ev­i­dence photo from the Toronto Po­lice shows a gun found at the Etobicoke home of Wayne Millard, fa­ther of Dellen Millard.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.