JSS process must be fair and transparent – Foote
Random-Burin-St. George’s MP Judy Foote called the recent $2.6 billion commitment to build two new joint support ships for the Canadian Navy welcome news.
However, she said the Conservative government must be held to its commitment that the process used in selecting the shipyards to build the JSS will be fair and transparent.
National Defence Minister Peter MacKay, in making the announcement, said “ This is going to be a boom time for shipbuilding throughout Atlantic Canada.”
Mrs. Foote noted the minister is saying the Atlantic Canadian economy is about to grow and prosper because of this announcement.
“However, just last month rumours circulated government contracts would be awarded to two centres of excellence for shipbuilding, and according to the Vice President of Washington Marine Group, John Shaw, the government had already decided where in the country these two centres would be located and unfortunately this province was not one of the locations.
“ Since then, Minster MacKay has said the rumours were not true bringing into question where Mr. Shaw would have gotten such an idea, and raising yet more questions about the federal government’s intentions with its new shipbuilding strategy. You are left wondering if the Conservative government will continue its practice of sole sourcing contracts like just happened with the $16 billion contract for F-35 fighter jets for the military.”
Mrs. Foote indicated she placed on the order paper in the House of Commons June I questions about the government’s new shipbuilding strategy announced in June by the Ministers of National Defence and Public Works and Government Services.
“Ministers have 45 days to respond to such questions. The questions included a request for specifics on the new strategy, such as information on the selection process and criteria for the establishment of the two new Centres of Excellence in shipbuilding.
“Following the requirements of the House of Commons, a response to my questions should be forthcoming from the Minister of National Defence by July 30.”