Looking for something special to make for Mother’s Day?
If your Mom has a sweet tooth, consider a galette featuring rhubarb.
A galette is an easy-to-make, rustic, free-form type of tart.
After rolling the pastry into a circle, it’s a simple matter of folding the outer edge of the dough about two inches into the centre over your filling.
That’s my kind of no-fuss dessert.
My featured galette also includes sliced strawberries, a bit of orange zest and some ground cardamom.
Serve this for dessert warm, after your Mother’s Day meal or with afternoon tea.
A dollop of whipped cream makes a nice accompaniment, or a scoop of ice cream. firstname.lastname@example.org
RHUBARB STRAWBERRY GALETTE
11/4 cup (300 ml) all purpose flour
6 Tbsp. (75 ml) butter cut into cubes
3 Tbsp. (45 ml) ice water Milk for brushing
Coarse sugar for dusting
2 cups (500 ml) diced rhubarb
1/2 cups (125 ml) brown sugar
2 tsp. (10 ml) flour
1 tsp. (5 ml) orange zest
1/2 tsp. (2 ml) ground cardamom 11/2 cups (375 ml) sliced strawberries
2 Tbsp. (25 ml) white sugar
2 tsp. (10 ml) butter, cut into small pieces 1. Place flour and butter in bowl and work with fingertips until crumbly. Or alternately, pulse in food processor.
2. Drizzle water over and stir until moistened. Gather dough into ball and knead on clean surface several times. Flatten dough to disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 20 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 400F. (200C) 4. Roll dough out to 10-inch circle and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Combine rhubarb, brown sugar, flour, orange zest and cardamom in bowl.
6. Place rhubarb mixture on pastry, leaving 2-inch ( 5 cm) border.
7. In another bowl, combine strawberries and white sugar. Toss well.
8. Place strawberry mixture over rhubarb mixture.
9. Fold 2 inches of outer pastry over filling.
10. Dot fruit with butter
11. Brush edge of dough with milk. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
12. Bake 40-45 minutes.