Two hurt in fire still in hos­pi­tal

The Sun Times (Owen Sound) - - FRONT PAGE - SCOTT DUNN SUN TIMES STAFF

Two vic­tims of the early morn­ing fire on Spry Lake Road near Oliphant al­most two weeks ago re­main in a Lon­don hos­pi­tal, while do­na­tions are pour­ing in for the fam­ily.

Jared Kim­ball, 17, and Nicole Re­nouf, 48, were air­lifted to Lon­don be­cause of in­juries caused by the Oct. 30 fire, which de­stroyed their home, be­long­ings and two dogs.

Jared had life-threat­en­ing in­juries and Re­nouf was sta­ble, in se­ri­ous con­di­tion with third-de­gree burns. Jared’s dad, Nyk Kim­ball, 44, was treated for smoke in­hala­tion, as was his spouse’s daugh­ter, Cassie Re­nouf, 18, who was sleep­ing in a trailer on the prop­erty the night of the fire.

Di­a­hanne Thom­son, a co-worker of Nyk Kim­ball’s at South-Port Me­chan­i­cal-Geo­ther­mal in Port El­gin, said Jared Kim­ball and Nicole Re­nouf re­main in hos­pi­tal.

She said Jared was moved out of the pe­di­atric in­ten­sive-care unit and into a burn unit in Vic­to­ria Hos­pi­tal Thurs­day. He has burns on his arms, his chest and his face, which are now clas­si­fied as first- and sec­ond-de­gree burns, she said.

He’s con­scious and speak­ing and re­ceived fam­ily mem­bers who vis­ited Fri­day, Thom­son said. At the be­gin­ning of the week he was ex­pected to re­main in Lon­don hos­pi­tal for two to three more weeks, she said.

Nicole Re­nouf suf­fered smoke in­hala­tion, dam­age to her lungs and vo­cal chords, and first- and sec­ond-de­gree burns to her arms and face – up­graded from third­de­gree, Thom­son said.

Thom­son said Re­nouf re­mains in a crit­i­cal-care unit. A tra­cheotomy is al­low­ing her to breath, she said. She’s con­scious on and off but is “very se­dated,” Thomp­son said. “She is im­prov­ing very slowly, it’s not as big an im­prove­ment for her, yet.”

She knew of no date when Re­nouf is ex­pected to leave the Lon­don hos­pi­tal. Re­nouf is also heal­ing from ra­di­a­tion treat­ments for lym­phoma, Thom­son said.

An­other pri­or­ity is find­ing some­where for the fam­ily to live. They had no in­sur­ance to cover their fire losses, Thom­son said.

“Nyk is just con­firm­ing up where they’re go­ing to go to move to and they’ve had sev­eral of­fers,” Thom­son said.

“They are go­ing to need a lot of help. They are go­ing to need a lot of re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion and help (will be) needed at the home,” Thom­son said. “If they’re with­out pay for a few months, that is def­i­nitely go­ing to be needed.”

So far, $6,960 has been donated to­ward the $20,000 goal set on the crowd-fund­ing web­site, Go­FundMe as of late Fri­day af­ter­noon. Do do­nate, search for “Kim­ball/Re­nouf Fam­ily” on that site.

South-Port Me­chan­i­cal Geo­ther­mal Inc. has taken care of the fam­ily’s ho­tel bills in Lon­don and pro­vided Nyk Kim­ball with a com­pany cell­phone be­cause his was lost in the fire. He’s a long­time em­ployee, Cassie Re­nouf works there and Jared Kim­ball did a co-op place­ment there last year.

Deb Diebel, a man­ager at the Blue­wa­ter Out­door Ed­u­ca­tion Cen­tre near where the Re­nouf/ Kim­ball fam­ily home was, has called off a cam­paign for do­na­tions of house­hold items be­cause many things have been donated.

Po­lice said that just be­fore 4 a.m. Oct. 30 Bruce Penin­sula OPP were dis­patched to a fully en­gulfed house fire on Spry Lake Road. Po­lice lo­cated three peo­ple who were in­side the res­i­dence and a fourth per­son who was stay­ing in a sec­ond struc­ture on the prop­erty.

Last week, an in­ves­ti­ga­tor with the prov­ince’s Of­fice of the Fire Mar­shal con­cluded a space heater in the liv­ing room caused the fire, though ex­actly how re­mained to be de­ter­mined.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.