Elec­tric­ity: Cau­tion!

The Telegram (St. John’s) - Home Buyers' Guide - - METRO REGION -

Elec­tric­ity seeks all paths to the ground. It trav­els there through con­duc­tors, such as me­tal, wet wood, water—or your body!

Your body is 70 per cent water. So if you touch an en­er­gized bare wire or faulty ap­pli­ance while you are grounded (that is touching the ground or con­nected to it by a con­duc­tor) elec­tric­ity will in­stantly pass through you to the ground, caus­ing a harm­ful—or fa­tal—shock.

It does­nʼt take much: The amount of elec­tric­ity used by one 7-watt Christ­mas tree bulb can kill you if it passes through your chest.

Even if it is­nʼt fa­tal, elec­tric shock can eas­ily cause se­ri­ous falls, burns, cuts or in­ter­nal in­juries.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.