Electricity seeks all paths to the ground. It travels there through conductors, such as metal, wet wood, water—or your body!
Your body is 70 per cent water. So if you touch an energized bare wire or faulty appliance while you are grounded (that is touching the ground or connected to it by a conductor) electricity will instantly pass through you to the ground, causing a harmful—or fatal—shock.
It doesnʼt take much: The amount of electricity used by one 7-watt Christmas tree bulb can kill you if it passes through your chest.
Even if it isnʼt fatal, electric shock can easily cause serious falls, burns, cuts or internal injuries.