“The Auld Kirk”
The Presbyterian congregation has a long history in Baddeck that dates back one hundred and seventy-six years ago when the village was just in its infancy.
In 1841, the first Presbyterian church was erected east of the village of Baddeck on the Bay Road. It bore the name Knox, but was locally referred to as the Auld Kirk. By 1857, the original place of worship had been replaced by a much larger building and on the same site – it also was called Knox.
Approximately thirty years later, a third church was built by the Presbyterian congregation, but not at the Bay Road location. The new and even bigger edifice was constructed in the village in 1886, and was given the name Greenwood. It is extant, now known as Greenwood United, and is located on the corner of Grant and Twining Streets.
A fourth Presbyterian church came about as a result of the outcome of a church union vote in 1925. It was built by the congregation in 1926, and in honour of the first two churches, is also named Knox. It is situated one block away from Greenwood United on Grant Street.
This photograph is of the second church on the Bay Road. It was taken on the eastern side of the building with the graveyard in the foreground surrounded by a wooden fence. The church was neo-classical in design with a square tower on the front gable end that was topped by a bell tower with a slender spire. Although the church is long gone, the Knox Cemetery is still well-maintained. This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Baddeck’s earliest residents.
The 2nd Knox Presbyterian Church in Baddeck, located along Bay Road. Photo contributed by Donald Pare.