Home­own­ers, builders re­minded of need for build­ing per­mits

The Victoria Standard - - Local News - BAD­DECK

Be­fore you pick up a ham­mer or hire a car­pen­ter to ren­o­vate your kitchen or build that ad­di­tion, check with the build­ing in­spec­tor first.

“We’d like to re­mind con­trac­tors and home own­ers, that be­fore start­ing your ren­o­va­tions, ad­di­tions or re­pairs to check if a per­mit is re­quired,” said David Macken­zie, Eastern District Plan­ning Com­mis­sion’s build­ing in­spec­tor for Vic­to­ria County.

Per­mits are re­quired for most struc­tural projects or projects cost­ing more than $5,000, he added.

“Un­less it’s a shed or a stor­age build­ing less than 215 square feet – then you only re­quire a build­ing per­mit if you are wiring it for elec­tric­ity,” said Macken­zie.

Due to zon­ing reg­u­la­tions in the vil­lage of Bad­deck, res­i­dents there must ap­ply for a de­vel­op­ment per­mit for any new build­ings or any changes to an ex­ist­ing struc­ture. The cost of a de­vel­op­ment per­mit is $40, re­gard­less of the size or na­ture of the struc­ture.

A res­i­dent or busi­ness build­ing with­out a re­quired per­mit may be is­sued a ‘stop work or­der’ which means all work on site must cease. If work con­tin­ues a sum­mary of­fense ticket in the amount of $697.50 to $1272.50 may be is­sued to the con­trac­tor or home­owner for ev­ery­day that work con­tin­ues un­der the or­der.

In­for­ma­tion on per­mits can be found at the Vic­to­ria County web­site at https:// www.vic­to­ri­a­county.com/ plan­ning-build­ing.html ; at the Eastern District Plan­ning web­site at www. edpc.ca; by call­ing toll free 1-888-625-5361 or lo­cally 1-902-295-2900.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.