Keep your indoor mirrors out of direct sunlight
Tillsonburg ’s Anne Dyksterhuis has an important fire safety message to share with the community after watching a similar story on the evening news.
“It’s such a little thing,” said Dyksterhuis, holding a makeup mirror with a movable arm that had used in her bathroom.
“It happened about a year ago. I was cleaning windows and I hadn’t noticed it right away. And then the next day I thought, ‘what’s that black spot on the window?’”
What might have been a small black spot on her white window frame was not so small.
“Then it stumbled on me, that it had burnt. And then I thought ‘Oh, I know what happened!’”
There was no burning smell, she noted. And it didn’t burn the curtain, only the frame.
“The sun was shining on there, it was late afternoon. The mirror reflected, and... the house could have burned. Now who would have thought?”
Dyksterhuis did not immediately take the mirror down, but moved the arm so the mirror, which has a regular side and concave (magnifying) side, was out of any possible direct sunlight. Not long after that the mirror detached from the arm, so she took it down and it was some time before it was reassembled. By then she had replaced it.
“I moved it where the sun wasn’t going to hit it. It was a small mirror, it could go anywhere. Later on, yes, I took it down.
“It was just the way it was set. I don’t know which side (regular or concave) it was.”
Watching the news on CTv she saw a similar makeup mirror had nearly caused a house fire in Toronto last summer.
“They were saying ‘not to put mirrors near the window.’ It was the same type of mirror, about the same size too. This is important for people to know. I want my friends to know, I want everyone to know.”
Today, Dyksterhuis uses a smaller makeup mirror - and she is very careful to store it out of the sunlight.
Anne Dyksterhuis shows the makeup mirror that nearly caused a fire in her Hickory Hills home last year.