IS claims Champs-Élysées assault
Gunman kills officer, wounds three people; police shoot attacker
PARIS — A gunman opened fire on police on Paris’s iconic Champs-Élysées boulevard Thursday night, killing one officer and wounding three people before police shot and killed him. The Islamic State group quickly claimed responsibility for the attack.
French presidential candidates cancelled or rescheduled lastminute campaign events ahead of Sunday’s first round vote in the tense election. Security already was a dominant theme in the race, and the violence on the sparkling boulevard threatened to weigh on voters’ decisions.
Investigators were conducting searches early today in at least one eastern suburb of Paris, according to three police officials. Authorities were trying to determine whether the assailant had accomplices, anti-terrorism prosecutor François Molins told reporters at the scene.
The attacker emerged from a car and used an automatic weapon to shoot at officers outside a Marks & Spencer’s store at the centre of the Champs-Élysées, Molins said. Two police officers and a woman tourist were wounded, he said.
The Islamic State group’s claim of responsibility just a few hours after the attack came unusually swiftly for extremist group, which has been losing territory in Iraq and Syria.
In a statement from its Amaq news agency, the group gave a pseudonym for the shooter, Abu Yusuf al-Beljiki, indicating he was Belgian or had lived in Belgium. The group described it as an attack “in the heart of Paris.”
Two police officials said the chief suspect was a 39-year-old man from a suburb east of the French capital.
Searches were conducted in at least one suburb east of Paris after the attack.
Police and soldiers sealed off the area, ordering tourists back into hotels and blocking people from approaching the scene.
The attacker had been flagged as an extremist, according to two police officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.
Interior Ministry spokesman Pierre-Henry Brandet said officers were “deliberately” targeted.
Islamic State group-inspired attacks have killed 235 people in France since January 2015, by far the largest casualty figure of any Western country. France remains under a state of emergency. Security has been especially high since Tuesday, when police said they thwarted a terror attack by arresting two men.
On Thursday night, emergency vehicles blocked the wide Champs-Élysées, an avenue lined with shops and normally packed with cars and tourists that cuts across central Paris between the Arc de Triomphe and the Tuileries Gardens. Subway stations were closed off.
The gunfire sent scores of tourists fleeing into side streets.
“They were running, running,” said 55-year-old Badi Ftaiti, who lives in the area. “Some were crying. There were tens, maybe even hundreds of them.”
French President François Hollande said he is convinced the circumstances of the latest attack pointed to a terrorist act. Hollande held an emergency meeting with the prime minister Thursday night and planned to convene the defence council Friday morning.
Speaking in Washington, U.S. President Donald Trump said the shooting “looks like another terrorist attack” and sent condolences to France.
Emergency vehicles block the Champs-Élysées boulevard in Paris after Thursday night’s attack.