Vic­to­ria fam­ily out of home af­ter butt ig­nites late-night bal­cony fire

Times Colonist - - The Capital / Island -

A bal­cony fire in a town­house com­plex sent flames shoot­ing into the air, says the Vic­to­ria Fire Depart­ment.

The blaze started about 1:30 a.m. Fri­day at 333 Robert St., just off Esquimalt Road.

The fam­ily es­caped without harm, but the suite was deemed un­in­hab­it­able due to smoke and water dam­age. Emer­gency So­cial Ser­vices found lo­cal ac­com­mo­da­tion for the fam­ily.

Fire­fight­ers were on the scene within min­utes, dous­ing the fire from be­low be­fore en­ter­ing the town­house and third-floor bal­cony, said Act­ing Bat­tal­ion Chief Vince Cullen

“Ap­par­ently, peo­ple were smok­ing on the deck ear­lier in the evening and thought they had butted it out,” Cullen said.

Dam­age is es­ti­mated at $50,000.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.