REMEMBRANCE DAY EVENTS
Communities on Vancouver Island will hold Remembrance Day events on Sunday to remember those who served in war, conflicts and peace missions, including the following:
• Victoria ceremony at the provincial cenotaph at the legislature. 10:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. After the ceremony, there will be a recital by provincial carillonneur Rosemary Laing, 11:45 a.m.12:30 p.m., free. There will also be a reception at Public Service Branch 127, from 12:15 to 3 p.m. at the main floor, 514 Government St. For more information, contact Victoria Remembrance Day Committee Poppy Fund at 250-386-2533 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Saanich ceremony, 10:45 a.m., at the cenotaph in front of Saanich Municipal Hall, 770 Vernon Ave.
• Esquimalt ceremony, at the Esquimalt cenotaph on Esquimalt Road at 11 a.m. Following the service, a reception hosted by Royal Canadian Legion Branch 172 will be held at CFB Esquimalt’s Chief and Petty Officer’s Mess on Lyall Street.
• God’s Acre ceremony, 1200 Colville Rd. Meet in the parking lot at 9:10 a.m.; ceremony begins at 9:30 a.m.
• Oak Bay ceremony at the cenotaph, 2800 Beach Dr. 10:55 a.m.; the 2800 block of Beach Drive will be closed to traffic during the ceremony.
• Langford parade of veterans, police, fire and emergency services personnel, cadets, Girl Guides, Scouts and other groups; goes from the Langford Legion to Veterans Memorial Park, starting at 10 a.m. Remembrance Day ceremony, 10:50 a.m. Followed by an open house at the Langford Legion Branch 91, 761 Station Ave. The intersection at Goldstream Avenue and Veterans Memorial Parkway will be closed during the parade and the two minutes of silence. • Aboriginal ceremony, attended by personnel from Maritime Forces Pacific/Joint Task Force Pacific on behalf of the Canadian Armed Forces, 9 a.m. at Goldstream Provincial Park. • Colwood ceremony, 11 a.m. at Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre. • Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club hosts a ceremony at Royal Roads University Italian Garden at 10:40 a.m. • Central Saanich ceremony at the new cenotaph, 10:30 a.m., 1209 Clarke Rd., Pioneer Park in Brentwood Bay; centralsaanich.ca.
• Sidney Parade of Veterans starts at 10:30 a.m. beginning at Mary Winspear Centre, continuing along Beacon Avenue, and ending at the cenotaph at Sidney Town Hall. The Remembrance Day ceremony starts at 10:50 a.m. and will include two minutes of silence at 11 a.m., a flypast and wreath laying. The ceremony will end with a March Past and Salute.
• Nanaimo ceremony in the hall of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 256 Nanaimo, 1630 E. Wellington St., from 7 to 8 a.m. Followed by breakfast, 9 a.m., or a beef on a bun and salad lunch, noon; facebook.com/Branch10LegionNanaimo.
• Duncan ceremony, Charles Hoey Memorial Park, 130 Canada Ave., Duncan. The muster is at 10:30 a.m., with service at 10:45 a.m. Reception following the service at Valley Seniors Organization Citizen Centre, 198 Government St., Duncan.
• Lake Cowichan Ceremony, with the Cowichan Valley Adult Band and Cowichan Pipes and Drum Corp, 10:50 a.m. at the cenotaph at Central Park on Stanley Street, Lake Cowichan. Remembrance Day performances include:
• Carillonneur Rosemary Laing will participate in Bells of Peace, a Royal Canadian Legion initiative to have bells across Canada ring out; 4:30 to 4:45 p.m., at Royal B.C. Museum. • CapriCCio Vocal Ensemble sings In Remembrance at Christ Church Cathedral, 930 Burdett Ave., 2 p.m. Ticket info at capriccio.ca. Free entry for veterans.
• Voices of Remembrance. Oak Bay United Chamber Society presents Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the First World War Armistice in Poetry and Song. 2 p.m. at Oak Bay United Church, 1355 Mitchell St. Tickets: $15/$20; oakbayunitedchurch.ca. Veterans in uniform free. • In Remembrance with trumpeter Ben Parker and choral music at St. Elizabeth’s Church, 10030 Third St., Sidney, 2:30 p.m. Tickets: $20; viachoralis.ca. • Imax Victoria: Two films: D-Day: Normandy 1944 and Dunkirk. Details at imaxvictoria.com • Victoria Children’s Choir performs in Clifford Carl Hall at the Royal B.C. Museum, 675 Belleville St., 12:30-1 p.m. Free.