Arrested father to be sent back to Quebec
The father of a six-year-old boy who was the subject of an Amber Alert this week appeared in an Ontario court Saturday and will be transferred back to Quebec.
Shortly after his court appearance, the man was taken by ambulance to an Ontario hospital. OPP would not say what his injuries were or how they occurred. Police said there were no suspects in the incident where he was injured.
The boy went missing from St-Eustache, Que., on Thursday and his father was apprehended in Ontario nearly 24 hours later. By then, the body of the boy’s mother had also been discovered in the family home.
OPP said they couldn’t comment on what charges the man might face in his home province, and police in Quebec did not respond to requests for comment on that matter.
Quebec provincial police are combing an area around Lachute for a missing 71-year-old man who previously used the car in which the missing child was found safe.
The boy’s father made it from StEustache to the town of Griffith, Ont., about 150 kilometres west of Ottawa, before he was arrested.
Police said they used a spike belt to stop the father’s vehicle and that he was arrested after a short foot chase.