‘An excellent job’
helping prevent a fire from getting out of control on the Bishopville Road.
“He was just a passerby who noticed the smoke, called 911 and then used a garden hose and basically contained the fire to the rear wall and attic space of the garage. He did an excellent job,” said Hantsport deputy fire chief Paul Maynard.
“Because of what he did, it basically saved the structure from total loss.”
The Hantsport Fire Department was called to the garage fire around 8: 30 a. m. May 3. Wolfville sent two trucks as per automatic aid protocol. About 25 firefighters were on scene.
Maynard said it appears the fire started in a green bin.
He estimates there is between $ 5,000 and $ 10,000 worth of damage to the garage.
“Content-wise, nothing was damaged inside the building because of the efforts of the passerby,” said Maynard.
Fire crews were on scene for about an hour and a half doing overhaul and cleaning up.
No injuries were reported.