70% OF CANDIDATE'S SIGNS DESTROYED OR STOLEN
“I don’t even know if I want to put my signs back up.”
These were the words echoed by Ward 4 candidate Yvon Simoneau, following the second instance of the destruction of his electoral signs. The vandalism took place on September 8 and 9.
"We live in a democracy," he said, "I shouldn't have to worry about putting up these signs.
"The candidate estimates that 70 per cent of his signs have been either stolen or destroyed. "Some of them have simply disappeared," he explained. "They destroy the wood I use for my signs." The candidate estimates the damage to be at over $1000, a true indication of the extent of the vandalism, as a single sign costs a little more than $30.
Ward 4 has seen a considerate amount of vandalism towards electoral objects. Last week, Vision highlighted the initial destruction of signs belonging to Simoneau and another Ward 4 candidate, Marc-Andre Fournier.
"It's the third time it has happened," said Fournier last week. Following last weekend's vandalism, Simoneau confirmed that he alerted the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) and hopes they deal with the matter.
But amongst all the destruction, he is quick to point to the community's generosity, calling it heartwarming. "Some residents have managed to find some of my signs and have put them back up. I'm extremely thankful for that."
L’un des candidats pour le quartier 4, Yvon Simoneau, a encore une fois retrouvé certaines de ses pancartes électorales détruites. Selon lui, des voyous les auraient saccagées les 8 et 9 septembre dernier. Le candidat a affirmé avoir perdu 70 % de ses affiches. « J’hésite à remettre d’autres pancartes, » a-t-il déclaré à notre journal. Le vandalisme a eu lieu sur le chemin Caron.