The Wonders of Coconut Oil
The wonders of coconut oil
you can call it “goddess grease”. It’s rich, creamy, exotic, and the ultimate in luxury. We are talking about Organic Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil. It’s high fat content gave it a bad rep for a while, but thank goodness the majority of us smartened up and now understand some fats are actually good for us and essential to thriving cells. Eat it, spread it, cook it, there’s not much you can’t do with it. You should have bottles in the kitchen, bathroom and the bedroom. OK, I’m a bit obsessed with it. And it’s no fad. Here’s why: Heart Healthy: Coconut oil’s saturated fat is lauric acid, proven to protect the heart by reducing bad cholesterol and enhancing good cholesterol levels. It also helps lower blood pressure and it does not lead to accumulation of fat in the heart and arteries.
Metabolism booster and fat buster: OK who doesn’t want either of these? Coconut oil’s medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) break down in the liver and are easily converted into energy not just stored as fat. This leads to more efficient energy burning and an increase in metabolism. Simply put, eating this will give you more energy. And because it does not spike blood sugar levels (great for those with diabetes or pre-diabetes), hunger is satiated for a longer period of time and you won’t be ready to reach for that who-knows-what at snack time. It also contains fewer calories than other oils. Can I say any more? Beauty Builder: It’s an amazing moisturizer and great for any kind of skin irritation including bug bites, scrapes, bruises, red patches, eczema and diaper rash. Rub it on and watch your issue disappear. Seriously. My all time favorite is using it as a makeup remover. It’s pretty much a one-stop-shop. Clear the counter. Immune Booster: It is anti-everything—anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, antifungal, antioxidant, anti-ager and anti-viral—both when applied topically and consumed. It helps our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness.
Here are my top 10 uses for this bottled-up miracle .
1. A complete replacement for butter in baking. Chocolate cookies never tasted so good. 2. Almost a complete replacement for Olive Oil in cooking. Yup, you heard that right. It’s more stable. I sauté all my veggies in it. I still like my Olive oil for dipping and salad dressing, but never in cooking anymore.
3. Pancakes never tasted so good using coconut oil instead of butter to cook them.
4. A tablespoon to daily power smoothies. Adds a nice subtle flavor.
5. In steel cut oats. I add a tablespoon to the boiling water. Makes it creamier and just a touch tropic.
6. Mix with cocao powder, almond milk and honey for a healthier hot chocolate or chocolate milk.
7. As a winter face and body moisturizer.
8. Add half cup to the family’s bath. Soothes any itchiness, scratches, rashes and red patches we may have. Plus it softens the water just so.
9. As a smooth, easy-to-apply and easily absorbed massage oil.
10. As a detangler. Take half teaspoon, melt it and mix with three cups water. Put in spray bottle.
For recipes incorporating this super food into your everyday, check out www. nourished.ca Easy and healthy recipes and holistic solutions from a local holistic nutritionist that promotes sustainable food and healthy eating. Sign up for inspiring and insightful monthly emails on healthy living for you and your family at www.nourished.ca