100+ drivers charged with stunt driving on Bruce Peninsula this year
Twenty-two more drivers were charged with stunt driving on the Bruce Peninsula during the Labour Day long weekend, bringing to more than 100 the number of people issued the ticket in that area so far this year.
Sixteen of the drivers were charged with the offence Saturday, according to the Bruce Peninsula OPP.
“This has been the unfortunate theme for traffic on Highway 6 during the warm weather months,” Const. Adam Belanger said in a police news release.
“Bruce Peninsula OPP officers continue to work towards changing this kind of behaviour through enforcement and awareness messaging.
“The last few months’ traffic enforcement results read like a story with a painful ending rather than an enjoyable vacation novel. There is definitely a monster at the end of this story and it is not a fluffy puppet. Drivers need to slow down and drive responsibly or, as we have seen time and time again, the results will be tragic and fatal.”
Stunt driving, an offence added to the Highway Traffic Act in 2007, is a charge that can be laid against a person who drives more than 50 kilometres per hour over the posted speed limit.
The drivers who were charged over the weekend were each issued summons to attend court in Owen Sound. Their vehicles were impounded and their driver’s licences were suspended for seven days, Belanger said.
The Bruce Peninsula OPP received 23 complaints over the weekend regarding aggressive or unsafe driving. More than 50 provincial offences notices for Highway Traffic Act infractions were issued. Most involved speeding.