How well do you know the boreal forest? Test your knowledge!
1 How many different species of birds live in the boreal forest? a) 100 b) 325 c) 250 d) 275 2 True or False:
Grizzly Bears, Polar Bears and Black Bears can all be found in the boreal forest. 3 Which of the following is another name for the boreal forest? a) Montane b) Northern c) Subalpine d) Taiga 4 How many different species of fish live in bodies of water in the boreal forest? a) 130 b) 200 c) 150 d) 215
5 Which of the following mammals cannot be found in the boreal forest? a) Red Fox b) Bobcat c) Striped Skunk d) Western Small-footed Bat 6 What percentage of Canadian landscape is covered by the boreal forest? a) 30% b) 45% c) 75% d) 55% 7 True or False:
Forest fires play an important role in the health of the boreal forest. 8 Which of the following birds cannot be found in the boreal forest? a) Red-Throated Loon b) Wild Turkey c) Grey Jay d) American Bittern 9 True or False:
Only coniferous trees can be found in the boreal forest.
11. b) A whopping 325 different species of
birds live in the boreal.
13. d) The boreal is also known as taiga. 14. a) 130 different kinds of fish species live in
bodies of water in the boreal forest. 15. d) The Western Small-footed Bat doesn’t
live in the boreal.
16. d) The boreal covers 55 per cent of
8. b) The Wild Turkey is not native to the boreal, although some have moved into agricultural areas and forests with milder winters.
19. False. There are plenty of deciduous trees in the boreal. Deciduous trees such as Trembling Aspen, Birch, and American Larch can be found in the boreal forest.