Crown wants drug dealer locked away indefinitely
Dangerous offender tag sought for man who carved up addict
In his comfy sweater and glasses, Maile Dujuan Williams looks like a mild-mannered man, perhaps a school teacher or someone who volunteers at the church.
But in 2015, Williams duct-taped a drug addict’s wrists together and carved up the man’s face, scalp and chest while holding him hostage in a Glengarry Avenue apartment.
Williams was recently convicted of aggravated assault, forcible confinement and extortion in connection with the incident. Now Ontario’s attorney general wants him designated a dangerous offender, meaning he could be held behind bars indefinitely.
Williams, 43, has a lengthy criminal record that includes 51 entries, many for violent crimes. He openly admits to being a drug dealer; his seven past convictions have been for charges of drug possession and possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking.
When he has threatened to kill people, they had reason to take him seriously: he has nine gun convictions and seven convictions for assaults.
Williams appeared in Superior Court on Thursday for his sentencing hearing. But instead of proceeding in the usual manner, assistant Crown attorney Elizabeth Brown informed the court prosecutors had received consent last week from Ontario’s attorney general to instead pursue a dangerous offender designation.
Brown said the dangerous offender hearing will include “extensive documentation” related to Williams’s criminal history and will require at least two weeks of court time.
The latest convictions against Williams were registered after an eight-day trial. Court heard how a distressed mother went to Windsor police in June 2015 to report her son was being held by Williams against his will. Earlier that day, she had been summoned to Windsor’s Water World to find her son in a car with Williams, who was demanding money. Her son, a crystal meth addict, was bleeding profusely from his head.
Williams testified at his trial, claiming the injured man had cut himself and faked being held hostage to get money out of his mother.
Noting the victim had no fewer than 12 cuts, Superior Court Justice George King rejected Williams’s testimony.
Since the trial, Williams’ trial lawyer has moved out of town. Appearing on his behalf in court Tuesday was defence lawyer Laura Joy, who said she was ready to take over the case.
“I know Mr. Williams,” she told the court. “I know his father. I’ve known him since he was 14 years of age.”
Williams has been sentenced
I know Mr. Williams. I know his father. I’ve known him since he was 14 years of age.
to time in a federal penitentiary four times in the past. The first two times, he was granted parole but breached the conditions of his release by committing crimes. He was jailed again.
The last time Williams was sent to the pen, sentenced to seven years in 2004 for assault and aggravated assault, he didn’t earn parole, but was released as is required by law after serving two-thirds of his sentence.
In 2010, he breached the conditions of that release and was re-incarcerated. Released again, he breached a second time in 2013 and ended up back in the penitentiary.
Williams’s case will be addressed in court again later this week. His dangerous offender hearing is scheduled to begin next month.