CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES
Makes: 4 dozen
1 cup (250 mL) flour ■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened ■ cocoa powder 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking powder ■ 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda ■ 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt ■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, ■ softened 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar ■ 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed golden ■ brown sugar 1 egg ■ 1 tsp (5 mL) peppermint extract ■ Chocolate peppermint glaze ■ (recipe follows)
1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Using medium speed of an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Using low speed, beat in egg and peppermint extract until blended.
2. Gradually beat in flour mixture just until combined. Gather dough into a ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into a disc shape. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Remove one disc of dough from refrigerator.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick. Using a floured 2-inch (5-cm) cookie cutter, cut dough into rounds. Place 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining disc of dough.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or just until cookies are firm around edges. Let cookies stand for 5 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove from cookie sheets and cool cookies completely on racks.
6. Spread with chocolate peppermint glaze. Let stand until glaze is set. Store, layered with wax paper, in refrigerator for up to 3 days. May be frozen.